Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ500RE came home with me today !

Rockanrolla

So I finally got "the one" after months of umming & ahhring I decided my big spend was going to be on the Masterbilt range, especially after hearing and reading so many great reviews on this site and many others.

After having a go on the few I could track down here in the U.K it finally happened today, I found a shop with one Masterbilt AJ500RE tucked away in the back room still boxed and in plastic, I insisted they dig her out for me to have a look at.

At first glance I wasn't so sure, the satin finnish looked dull (I have always prefered Glossy), I wasn't keen on the pre-amp buttons sticking out so high, the bridge saddle and nut looked like horrible plastic, and for the price I was hoping on a case but came without. So with all this running through my mind I picked her up and sat on a keyboard stool..............and then I softened a little, this thing seemed to hug me, it fitted me so well, like no other guitar I have ever held, Before I even strumed a chord I was hooked, The guitar strings were very slack so I began tuning, as soon as the E came into tune It sounded like angels calling, I hastily tuned the other 5 strings, and really fell in love, I felt that if God himself played guitar this is what he would play and this is how it would sound, I bought her there and then, didn't care about the case, the dull finnish (which I really like now). And I havent put her down since, (My wife is getting very jealous).

Just wanted to post this for anyone who hasn't tried one, or is thinking about it, DO IT !

Congratulations.

I'm a fan of the satin finished necks. I've found 1 mfgr that makes a gloss body w/ a satin neck but the few others I've found with satin necks are satin all over. I'm not not sold on the all satin appearance. I think tone wise a thin satin finish would be preferred. I know the thin satin Seagul sounds great, but I'm disappointed in the finish. I'm told that the Seagul finish is very delicate and doesn't hold up well. Here's hoping the Epi is more practical.

I'm still searching. I'm mighty tempted to snag a Mitchell single cut just for the price. It sounds fantastic, looks great, & plays better than anything in the under $1000ish ballpark, and is dirt cheap. I'm trying to locate a yamaha LXJ6 before I make up my mind. I'm an old yamaha handmade FG-200 player from way back. Loved the guitar & I'm looking for a "new" FG-200.

Enjoy.

So I finally got "the one" after months of umming & ahhring I decided my big spend was going to be on the Masterbilt range' date=' especially after hearing and reading so many great reviews on this site and many others.

After having a go on the few I could track down here in the U.K it finally happened today, I found a shop with one Masterbilt AJ500ME tucked away in the back room still boxed and in plastic, I insisted they dig her out for me to have a look at.

At first glance I wasn't so sure, the satin finnish looked dull (I have always prefered Glossy), I wasn't keen on the pre-amp buttons sticking out so high, the bridge saddle and nut looked like horrible plastic, and for the price I was hoping on a case but came without. So with all this running through my mind I picked her up and sat on a keyboard stool..............and then I softened a little, this thing seemed to hug me, it fitted me so well, like no other guitar I have ever held, Before I even strumed a chord I was hooked, The guitar strings were very slack so I began tuning, as soon as the E came into tune It sounded like angels calling, I hastily tuned the other 5 strings, and really fell in love, I felt that if God himself played guitar this is what he would play and this is how it would sound, I bought her there and then, didn't care about the case, the dull finnish (which I really like now). And I havent put her down since, (My wife is getting very jealous).

Just wanted to post this for anyone who hasn't tried one, or is thinking about it, DO IT ![/quote']

Fatmo, how does the Masterbilt AJ500ME compare to your IB64 Texan?

Fatmo' date=' how does the Masterbilt AJ500ME compare to your IB64 Texan?

[/quote']

First of all I made a mistake , its the rosewood RE not the Mahog ME (sorry)

I love the IB64 Texan, great tone and easy to play, however I am totaly smitten with the AJ500RE, the feel and tone is the best Ive played, Its my first Rosewood and my first all solid wood guitar and I really am blown away by the sound.

The texan has a wamth and glossy sound, but the AJ is on another level, amazing sustain, maybe not as bright but definately a sharper more truer tone.

Ive had the Martin D1 (the old one with the hog neck) with a satin finish, the Epihone is much beter for sound and a lot cheaper.

Bender 4 Life

Ive got an acoustic open mike night tomorow and will take the AJ, this will be the first proper pluged in sesh, I had her pluged in today to test and play about a bit and its great with the blend, the saddle pickup is great for strumming, picking is great on the neck, but the blend gives you a great chance to find different sounds.

This doesnt mean the Texan is in the shadows, she will be my main giging guitar for now. Im keeping the AJ500RE at home after tomorow (maybe) [biggrin]

Thanks Guys, I'm half way through posting some songs on youtube, I'll put on the link when I do.

I`m happy for you Fatmo, I haven`t yet had the pleasure of playing a Rosewood backed AJ-500, but I do own a wonderful handcrafted Yamaha LS-500, solid Sitka/Rosewood, and if your Masterbilt is anywhere near as good as that guitar, I can more than understand why you are so blown away. Enjoy!

Steve.

Friday night went really well, I did an open mike night with the AJ-500re and it sounded great beyond my expectations, I let a mate borrow it for a couple of numbers and now he wants one :-).

I had the chance to plug ut in the stereo option as well as the blend and both sounds were really bright and crisp, just need to work on my voice now :-)

Congrats on your gig and the AJ-500RE. I have one just like that too [blink]

Masterbilt is definitely a very nice guitar with an unbeatable price. These rosewood ones have so much bass and resonance.

The thin satin finish helps with extra vibrations, making booming sound. However, I prefer thicker finishes to satin finishes because they protect the wood better and look cooler.

Best luck!

Archived