Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Advice

About 10 years ago I acquired a Roland Jazz Chorus 50 amp. The guy I got it from used it as a bass amp so when I got it I kept using it as a bass amp. I've been playing guitars for a while, but I'm just now getting back into bass and am curious as to what to do with this amp. Should I keep using it as a bass amp? Should I sell it to buy a real bass amp? Should I keep it as a guitar amp. The Chorus/Vibrato switch does not work.

I've been trying to look up information on Roland serial numbers, but the only thing I can tell is that it was made before 1989. It is in decent shape for being over 20 years old. Does anyone know how much these are worth or if people are interested in them. This is the only JC 50 I've seen, but I've seen a few 120s around. I don't know, some advice would be appreciated.

Matt

Well Matt, only you can decide if you want to keep using it as a bass amp. If you like the tone you get from it fine, if not, theres plenty of choices out there to look into.

Now, as far as worth, what I do to research current used gear prices is to do a advanced search on Ebay of past listings. Thats gives you a good idea what to expect for it.

Roland still produces the 120 model. At one time they also produced the 50, like yours, and I believe something even smaller like the 25.

I believe the smaller models are quite sought after as you don't see them available often so I dont think you would have any troble selling if you wanted to. I would be interested myself if you ever post it to the forums " Buy & Sell " section.

Hope this information helps you and maybe you'll get some responses from some of our more knowledgable members.

I had a 1989 JC 77 for about three years, just never fell in love with it, though it did give some cool sounds. Everyone will tell you, those JC's don't have anything close to decent distortion, good for super clean and freaky chorus leads, but considering it's "Jazz Chorus" I found it none too suitable for jazz. I bought it at Daddy's for $300, sold after three years on ebay for $450. Not long ago I saw another one in Daddy's still going at $300 [blink] Vintage guitar price guide lists a JC 77 at $275-325, and a JC 50 at $250-300.

If the chorus is broken, it probably won't fetch much, since that's what JC fans look for in that amp. I agree with sexygibson that the smaller models, the JC 50 and JC 77, are sought after (being no longer in production), but if the chorus is busted it may be a deal killer. If it's just the switch, it would do to fix it before trying to sell. Or if you like it, just keep it and jam. Have fun-

Archived