Gibson Brands Forums

Decent instument cable

What would you suggest for a decent instument cable for home use. I know that for gigging you would want a good quality cable that can stand up to some abuse and sound good. How about for simple home use and practice? I am assuming that super cheap cables can get the job done but you may run into reliability or noise issues. What do you use?

I use a mixture of Peavey and Proel stuff. The Peavey cables I've found a bit hit and miss but the Proel seems to be noise free and reliable. Cheap too.

George L is extremely low in capacitance. It's not issue-free, but in terms of being a very reasonably priced, very low-capacitance cable, there's really nothing that I know of that comes close. It's capacitance in a cable that attenuates and kills high end and muddies up low end, so the lower that number is per foot, the clearer signal you'll have through it.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/George-L%20s-PreMade-.225-Cable?sku=153802

This site has a great buyer's guide, and many different types of cable to choose from:

http://www.lavacable.com/

I exclusively use the Ernie Ball "Ultraflex" cable, with the safety end that won't pass current until it is COMPLETELY plugged into the guitar.

Want to "flip the stby. switch, raise the volume, walk to the guitar, THEN plug it in, with total silence until it's seated"?

How about swapping guitars without turning the amp volume down, or putting it in standby mode?

THESE are the things I can do with no squeal/pop/Hum/feedback/anything, with the Ultraflex.

If it's not long enough, I couple it with any other cable........as long as the U/F is the cable into the guitar, it still works.

Disclaimer: some guits have input jacks with "half square" female recepticles......these have to be changed to Switchcraft or other inputs with "all round" females to work reliably.

I can do that with an A/B switch' date=' and don't have to swap a guitar cable between guitars. ;-)[/quote']

Yeah, my Morley A/B/Y is great for switching between 2 guitars, or 2 amps Y/Z/A.........

BUT I often use more than 2 guitars, sometimes as many as 5, so the "killswitch cable" is much more effective in my application.

Now, in theory, one could series multiple A/B switches and have an endless number of guitars "at the ready".

Or, spend $30 USD and have 1 cable do the same job [wink]

I make my own with Neutrik connectors (Neutrik are rock solid!). I'd recommend the shortest cable that is practical, it does improve tone for me. I'm not sure who make the best cable, I've just grabbed the best spare cable from pa shop where I work :-) If I had to buy my own I'd check out George L on m-theorys recommendation. For on the stage I might consider getting myself something fancy eventually.

I use an AKG DW1000 wireless to gig and mid priced Horizon cables at home. Since UHF is going to be illegal after June, I need to be looking at a new wireless setup but I'm not so worried that I'll get busted for interferring with public safety communications in the near future. After all, it's only a 300 foot range of use. I guess that the range for interferring in terms of noise injection extends past that point, but I'll continue to use it for a while. Maybe my next one will be dual diversity.

Wireless is good enough for the pros and it's been a reliable alternative for me. I love the freedom to be able to walk around the stage and out into the audience for sound checks. You'd be surprised at how different your "ultimate tone" setup sounds when you walk out 50 feet and listen to it.

Archived