Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton electronics upgrade

Banastre

First off, sorry if this has been covered before, but a search led to alot reading/skimming [crying] so bear with me.

I have ordered the Mojo 335 upgrade, and am waiting for the post-installation to see if the pups need replacing or not. I'd like to simplify a pup exchange in the future (if needed) by soldering/installing a plug/connection from the existing pups to the new harness. Mojo installs one if you get Mojo pups (which I did not).

What connection should I be looking for, and where? Radio Shack, etc?

I'm a member of the old school who believes in hard wiring!

Plugs and sockets are OK if you are changing PUs in and out all the time to find what suits but for long term usage they are a potential problem as resistance can build up between the contact surfaces unless treated with contact cleaner or are gold plated which resists oxidisation of the surface.

If you do go with plugs and sockets go for the best quality available as most suppliers will sell you standard equipment.

Happy Twanging either way!

I build harnesses and I get asked fairly often for the plug type.

And Albannach is spot on. you'd better use the best stuff you can get.

Rust never sleeps, as someone once said.

And with a sheri?

Well, I own a sheri. I've replaced pups and wiring a few times in it over the last 17 years, and I wouldn't use anything but solder connections.

It's too hard to get the stuff in and out.

My recommendation is what I use myself.

Best pots you can find, be sure the cap values, treble bleed mod values are the exact tone shaping you want.

Everyone one wants vintage cloth push back wire.. which I detest as it takes solder lousy.. I prefer wire I get which is teflon coated

and sucks up solder like a sponge. really strong.

get it all together really strong and then you wont have to touch a thing for many many years.

Yeah I've never used connections in any of my fleet- hardwried to the core also. Since this is my first semi-hollow I thought I'd make it simpler down the road.

Anyone ever heard of a right-angled soldering iron for these F-Holes, maybe with attached mirror and light? Maybe a fiber-optic camera/monitor system? GPS might help, too[biggrin]

Seriously, thanks for the help. I do agree that soldering is way better than some sort of plug.

Any other input/opinions out there?

Another vote for hardwired. Nothing is more annoying / embarrasing than a defective guitar at a gig.

The pickups connect directly to the pots and there's precious little extra space in any semi-hollow guitar in the pickup cavity, so you're gonna have to take the whole assembly out to do a pickup upgrade anyway.

I'll bet you'll be happy enough with the new electronics that you won't care about upgrading the pickups for at least a few years....

Archived