Gibson Brands Forums

Pup suggestions for my G400

fpd4308

I am thinking about changing out the factory pups on my g400. Just something to get a differant sound than what I already have. I have an LP with Gibson 57's and a LP with p90s. Was going to see if anyone had any suggestions. I was considering the Gibson angus young sig series pups but never met anyone who has had them. I am new to this modding thing so was just looking for suggestions. I mostly play blues, classic rock, hard rock, no metal or anything like that.

Thanks

I am thinking about changing out the factory pups on my g400. Just something to get a differant sound than what I already have. I have an LP with Gibson 57's and a LP with p90s. Was going to see if anyone had any suggestions. I was considering the Gibson angus young sig series pups but never met anyone who has had them. I am new to this modding thing so was just looking for suggestions. I mostly play blues' date=' classic rock, hard rock, no metal or anything like that.

Thanks

[/quote']

I had a Elitist SG with a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge, liked it a lot.

I changed the pickups on my G-400 and put a DiMarzio Tone Zone and an Air Norton. The end result is a very rock type sound which I really enjoy.

Initially, I thought about Gibson's 490R and 490T (which are like the 57s on steroids, if you will), but the DiMarzio's were cheaper and none the worse for it.

I am very pleased with them.

Guest icantbuyafender

gibson's 490R/498T humbucker set is the definition of what an sg should sound like. its probably the most popular.

i myself like an alnico II bridge pickup, and resort to using the 490T rather than 498T.

57's are good. Never heard em in an sg.

The sad part is, well not really sad but two new Gibson pickups are going to cost about the same as the guitar itself. Any real Gibson pickups will make the guitar sound that much better. The hard part is finding a used pair on ebay for a reasonable price. But they are out there. I picked up a Gibson 500T a couple months ago for an old Les Paul copy and it transformed the guitar into a killer. I got it for $40.00.

note: the 500T is best suited towards metal.

I had a 1976 Gibson SG Standard that a friend of a friend sold to me for $100.00 with the case, no I didn't leave off a zero [biggrin] This model/year SG guitar had new Gibson designed pickups in it, I've read that they were actually the first hot-rodded pickups ever designed (well at least by Gibson) I've never heard pickups that creamy smooth since. I wore the frets away on that guitar and didn't have the cash to refret it so I sold it on ebay a few years ago. I would give anything to get that guitar back.

:-({|=

Guest icantbuyafender
The sad part is' date=' well not really sad but two new Gibson pickups are going to cost about the same as the guitar itself. Any real Gibson pickups will make the guitar sound that much better. The hard part is finding a used pair on ebay for a reasonable price. But they are out there. I picked up a Gibson 500T a couple months ago for an old Les Paul copy and it transformed the guitar into a killer. I got it for $40.00.

note: the 500T is best suited towards metal.

I had a 1976 Gibson SG Standard that a friend of a friend sold to me for $100.00 with the case, no I didn't leave off a zero [biggrin This model/year SG guitar had new Gibson designed pickups in it, I've read that they were actually the first hot-rodded pickups ever designed (well at least by Gibson) I've never heard pickups that creamy smooth since. I wore the frets away on that guitar and didn't have the cash to refret it so I sold it on ebay a few years ago. I would give anything to get that guitar back.

:-({|=

Had you posted this a week ago, I would have been able to sell you the 490R/498T i had in my wilshire...

but i sold that guitar

you can get a pair of used gibbys on ebay for >$70

keep checkin.

if metal is you game, 496R/500T is your gibson combo. They scream!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Someone was right some decent pups can cost as much as the guitar itself. Maybe I will just sell the SG and buy the Slash Signature LP with Duncans. Ya I should be able to convince my wife that I need a new guitar....lol

I was searching for pickups for my new G-400 as well. Check out the Seymour Duncan sound clips. They're not a perfect resource but are a good place to start.

I really like the Pearly Gates bridge sound bytes but...... after researching things I'm sold on the P-Rails. Check out a video from a guy called lyongraulty on youtube. He has a couple of videos for the P-Rails, but the "Part I" video is the best. He plays awesome slide guitar on a flat top LP with the P-Rails. Great sound.

Good Luck

I like my SD Pearly Gates pups in my Epi LP Custom better than the 490R/498T in my Gibson Studio LP. The 490R/498T gives you an early creamy Santana sound on the neck and bite on the bridge. The Pearly gates have a brighter overall sound and slightly higher output. You still get the growl on the bridge and good sound on the neck, but with more highs and harmonics, which you can roll off using the guitar tone control. I play the SDs with my tone control rolled off about 2/3 back most of the time. I have more range that way. I can roll them forward for crystal clear clean chorus and back for raunch solos. I think it's a good combo. That's my personal opinion.

Archived