Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Epiphone a good deal?

smithdatura

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first guitar and have spotted a gorgeous Epiphone at a local pawn shop for $400, but being a relative neophyte in this field I have no idea if it's a good deal or not. I was hoping you could give me some insight into what model it is since some are clearly priced less than $400 new, while others are nearly double that.

Basically it looks like the cherry sunburst model shown here:

N_1632a.jpg.jpeg

and has simply the Epiphone logo and "Les Paul Standard" written on the neck. The serial number is DW04031546. It has dual Humbucker pickups (I think - they're all metal, not the dual open coil variety), but both are slanted downward from their normal height at the first string so that they almost enter the body beneath the sixth (E2) string - is that normal?

According to the owner of the pawn shop, the guitar is perfectly tuned and was formerly owned by a jazz guitarist who actually taught lessons, but he sold it because he's raising money to open a restaurant.

Is there any way to tell from the information above if this is a good value? From my research it seems like it's an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Tribute model, but I really can't tell - I'm not sure if the serial number or pickup configuration might provide some way of knowing?

Thanks for any input you might provide!

I can't comment on the provenance of the guitar, the details aren't complete enough, and we'd need picture to be sure of the model, but the store owner's story sounds fishy. An LP isn't really a typical jazz guitar (although some notable jazz players have and do use them), and anyway, if the guy wanted to raise money to open a restaurant, why wouldn't he sell it to one of his students or on Craigslist or eBay? Pawn shops are notoriously bad places to sell stuff unless you need the money right now to buy drugs, you're about to get evicted, or Guido is going to break your legs over a gambling debt.

Even if the story is true, $400 seems high for an Epi LP Standard, I see nice plus tops on Craigslist fairly regularly for $350 with case. And then, what if it turns out to be one of the thousands of fake Epiphones floating around these days? I wouldn't do it unless I could get him way down on the price (he probably paid no more than $200), and could bring an Epi expert to the store to check it out. And that means opening the rear cavities AND taking the pickups out if it passed an initial sight inspection.

In any case, if I were buying my first guitar, I'd go straight to an authorized dealer or reputable music shop and buy a guitar with a warrantly and full return rights. There are folks who check in here all the time who've bought fakes and have no recourse but to throw it in the fireplace since it's illegal to sell counterfeit goods with Epiphone or Gibby logos on them. Even if you point out to the buyer that it's a fake, it is illegal merchandise and it can be confiscated by law, same as fake Gucci handbags and Rolexes. Oh, and you can be fined or go to jail for selling it, depending on what country the transaction takes place in. (Not too familiar with Canadian counterfeiting laws.)

It's not the Tribute, which was released as a tribute to Les Paul himself, after his passing (RIP). The Tribute's TRC will have Tribute on it.

Without a picture of the actual guitar, it is going to be difficult to determine which Epiphone Standard the guitar is, as ther are many.

The basic Epi Standard sells new for $429 (black) and $479 for the burst. They go up from there.

Sheila

Well, I see Brian beat me to the post!

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback, guys. It really looks great in person, but I had a brain cramp to take down the serial number info but not snap a photo of it to at least share in a forum like this. I'm just puzzled at what model it *is*, if it's not a Tribute (given it looks like the photo above, which is a Tribute)... but that said, your advice is probably sound to deal with authorized dealers first. The pawn shop in question isn't as shady as many of its brethren - it stocks about a dozen or so guitars plus quite a few amps in a decent part of town - but I agree it's wise to check guaranteed legit sources first to see what they might offer.

Chances are if a pawn shop took it then it is not a fake. The pawn shop probably only gave the guy $125.00 for it. Go in an offer them $250.00. I'd go up to $300.00 for a used Epi Les Paul Standard but no higher. For $400 you could probably find a used Elite model on CL. Good Luck!

update: I just searched ebay for epi elite model lps, some over $1100.00. These people are smoking crack.

It's almost cetainly this:-

51765_p.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top

Doesn't have the specs of the tribute/1959 models but looks very similar in that it has a plain (not flamed) top and is available in heritage cherry sunburst. The tribute/59s have Gibson pickups, a full maple cap (rather than a veneer) and better electronics (plus a few other things)

If you want a used standard plain top I would aim to be paying just over half of full retail price. I'm not sure on US prices but I would say $250-$300 tops. You can upgrade electronics at a later date.

There is a risk of getting a fake if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. If you're prepared to pay $400 I'd try and get a new one from an authorised retailer (on special as Brian says).

Alan

Go in an offer them $250.00. I'd go up to $300.00 for a used Epi Les Paul Standard but no higher.

Just beat me to it with your post so I didn't see yours but my $250-$300 was exactly the same . Uncanny.

Just beat me to it with your post so I didn't see yours but my $250-$300 was exactly the same . Uncanny.

cool [biggrin]

I was just thinking and I don't know the currency rate these days but is the OP talking $400 canadian?

I'm still laughing at the story - A jazz guitarist wants to open a restaurant and sells an Epi LP for a few Jacksons to help fund it. Last time I checked, it took $50-100k just to open a strip mall pizza shop with all the ovens and furniture leased, and anywhere from $250-500k to open a regular restaurant heavily leveraged. What was he going to buy with the cash - postage stamps? A set of Ginsu knives?

Anyways, he could call it - "Tasty Licks". Or "Finger Pickin' Good" or "Rhythm and Cordon Bleus", the possibilities are endless...

Guest icantbuyafender
I'm still laughing at the story - A jazz guitarist wants to open a restaurant and sells an Epi LP for a few Jacksons to help fund it. Last time I checked' date=' it took $50-100k just to open a strip mall pizza shop with all the ovens and furniture leased, and anywhere from $250-500k to open a regular restaurant heavily leveraged. What was he going to buy with the cash - postage stamps?

Anyways, he could call it - "Tasty Licks". Or "Finger Pickin' Good" or "Rhythm and Cordon Bleus", the list is endless...[/quote']

Said it before i could.

haha

Don't buy from a pawnshop unless you're sure it's legit, and you can talk the price down by 40%.

I've had many shop owners tell me personally that they won't take in an item unless they can TRIPLE their money on it, and thats AFTER haggling price with the purchaser.

Someone said the pawnbroker probably ONLY gave $125 for it.........in truth, it was most likely closer to $75.

Don't buy from a pawnshop unless you're sure it's legit' date=' and you can talk the price down by 40%.

I've had many shop owners tell me personally that they won't take in an item unless they can TRIPLE their money on it, and thats AFTER haggling price with the purchaser.

Someone said the pawnbroker probably ONLY gave $125 for it.........in truth, it was most likely closer to $75.[/quote']

Bender,

You nailed that Brother...

As a much younger... &, then, highly motivated 'Wannabe Super Grafter' I got rolled over good & proper selling excess musical kit to a couple of Pawn Shops ... Then (I think?) I figured it out (although, as a +/- subject, the Internet has kinda stuffed this up)... They cant know everything!... & I realised that they always asked ME what I wanted for 'Item X'? ... so, I just started tripling what I really wanted... & I found the outcomes of these massive 'porkys' to be quite satisfactory:-" !

Ya live & learn!

eggmuffins

According to the owner of the pawn shop' date=' the guitar is perfectly tuned and was formerly owned by a jazz guitarist who actually taught lessons, but he sold it because he's raising money to open a restaurant.[/quote']

PS: Sounds like BS to me too!... I would suggest that you grab yourself a nice sandwich at 'Dunns Famous Deli ' & have a good long think about this!

eggmuffins

Archived