Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Emperor

blues62

I ran the SN through the dater project and can't get it to come up with this SN. Am I doing something wrong. How can I be sure its a 1968? Thanks for all your help.

Epip-11000x1333.jpg

Epip-21000x1333.jpg

Epip-31000x750.jpg

That there be an E-by-G Emperor........aint seen one of them before.......should be circa 86-88 if it is Samick...maybe the dater can't process this one like the E-by-G sheratons.....the serials are a law unto themselves...

Look nice sitting next to my Sheraton that.....ahhh don't worry I am all spent up.......[thumbup]

Lovely guitar welcome and thanks for sharing, fine piece of guirotica.....

The SN is 6811900

I have a feeling that might be Samick august 1986 let us compare that to....Sheraton E-by-G's

1986 E-by-G's

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

1987 E-by-G's

cooper (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

StevieD (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 8 (tobacco, sn:71107775))

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:71108446))

1988 E-by-G's

Toredown (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 5 (tobacco, sn:80202658))

hilleri(2) (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 9 (natural, sn:880603292)

slawek (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 4 (tobacco, sn:880802010))

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13095

Would invite Jerrymac and Musikron to compare those 7 digit 1986 Samick E-by-G serials with yours...the obvious difference no nought in front on the month....also that mandolin style bracket and fancy bridge either after constructions or may well denote it a much earlier model....I need to call in my esteemed far more experienced forum colleagues.....take it away guys...

EDIT: My guess is the mandolin style bracket is an "add on" because there is a screw hole in the pickguard....?

When I ran your serial # thru the guitar dater project I got the following:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

November c.1968

Production Number: 900.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Whoa! Something not quite right here guys! In 1968, I was working for an Epiphone dealer and there ain't

no EMP IIs back then. There was a thinline Emperor made by Gibson, with 3 New York pickups and that's

the only Emperor that Gibson was making back then ..and they were as scarce as hens teeth..if you know what

I mean.

This one looks like it's from the late 80s at least.

The only thing they were making in Korea in 1968 were baby Koreans.

And they were good at doing that. [thumbup]

This could be from Samick's Korean factory as the tuners look like the ones on the Samick mades, both my

'91 Emp II and the '95 JP had those asian Gotoh style tuners, but both were missing labels and didn't

come with an inlaid bridge..I thought that was more of a Broadway bridge, as those were inlaid in that

way.

Certainly the "68" for the year seems to be a bit mysterious...although the sn conventions were

not completely standardized then..like they are (supposed to be) now.

Jerry....... Carver

That must be a very early Emperor II, 1986, would love to have that for an hour to play having owned a 1997 Samick JP.......What do you think Carver how is that put together...do you think..?

Jerry....... Carver

That must be a very early Emperor II' date=' 1986, would love to have that for an hour to play having owned a 1997 Samick JP.......What do you think Carver how is that put together...do you think..?

[/quote']

Yes, I would think it could be from the mid 80s.

It's probably the same as the rest of the Samick made EmpIIs. Plywood spruce top, plywood maple back/sides.

The main difference is the headstock nameplate. Other than that,maybe the inlaid bridge, pretty much

the same sound as you get from the JPs.

Guys you all are great for helping me out here. I brought this thing a few days ago. Who ever had it know how to set up a Guitar I mean this thing plays like one I have ever played before. And to tell the truth I am a fender Strat, Tele. freak (but dont tell no one..) But anyways I do have a Gib 60"s Les Paul for the hard stuff.. LOL... I may sell just don't know yet and have no idea what to ask for it.

Thanks again Guy,

Blues

Archived