Gibson Brands Forums

Help me pick my second guitar!

vzldrb

Hey all.

First off, I'd like to say thank you to the forum owners just for having this place up and running... even EXISTING.

Anyways, I'll dive right in and mention that I'm buying my second guitar. I've had a First Act(from walmart) fir several years now - I got it when I was 16. Anyways, i've refined my musical taste into extreme metal. Namely, black metal. Keeping this in mind, I need an Epi to meet my needs. Something that can handle lots of distortion but also accent the highs for tremolo picking/melodic bits, and stay in tune well. Looks do not matter, I do not play live. I just need a guitar that can sound good and the way I need it too.

I have a 30W Spider II (Line 6) amp.

If you need more info, let me know.

PS. Price range should be between $299-399.

Buying an Epi SG, LP, or maybe Firebird comes to mind? Not sure of prices in the US. Given that you have a modelling amp with a setting called "Insane", you may not need to change pickups to the distortion types such as DiMarzio, etc.

Happy shopping.

WELCOME FIRST OFF AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE FORUM AS MUCH AS I DO. I have a 15w line 6 and think it is ok. what made it better for me was the line 6 tone port adapter i brought. it enhanced the amp and guitar to a serious level. I would recommend the les paul u linked and a pedal or get the line 6 toneport. i got the cheapest one and it works great with any amp you run it thru. the plus is you fet a free recording program and it works with the gearbox program the adapter loads.

as for the pedal i would say the deltalab for starters. it will work great with your 30w. it is a bit much for the 15w i have. but my fender blues junior rocks it out.

my suggestions.

I really don't think I'm going to need a whammy bar though, i haven't used one in any of the black metal songs I've been playing for a year now... Other suggestion maybe? I think you're close, but not a bit off.

I still like the '66 just for the looks - it looks more expensive then it is. But that's just me. Can i change the tuning knobs on the epiphone easily?

+1 to the EM-2

For black metal you, you definately want something with hot pickups in it. The EM-2s have Epi Actives in them. They are worth checking out at least. And it is only $299. Its the hottest guitar Epiphone makes in that price range.

Here is the non-Floyd version:

540836.jpg

If you could hang on a bit longer and save a little more scratch, I'd highly recommend the Epiphone Prophecy line. I have both the Les Paul and the SG GX models (Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups) and they are just incredible guitars. A couple of furumk members here have the EX models with EMG's and they swear by them as well.

Check around for any used ones in your area. I've never seen anyone trade one in, but you might get lucky!

Jim

Here are mine:

Sany0082.jpgSany0001.jpg

Archived