Gibson Brands Forums

LP Special II question... why lighter?

SoSpecial

Yesterday I found an Epiphone Special II that felt GREAT. It looks like this (stock photo):

274842.jpg

It's the wine red with black hardware.

I liked the feel because 1) the neck is thin and comfortable, unlike other (more "real") Les Paul shaped guitars by Epiphone (or Gibson). 2) it was SO LIGHT! I've been wanting a light guitar...

Interesting thing... This wine red Special II was MUCH lighter than all the other Epiphone Special II guitars in the store. (The black, the sunburst, etc.) I mean, noticeably lighter. Why the heck is that? Or was it just chance/luck of the draw? Anyone know?

i read something about.

the heavier the guitar' date=' the higher the pitch

so heavy = better[/quote']

I actually LIKE it being light... feels great. Sound is fine to me.... Just curious why this one would be lighter than the others...

The bodies are probably different varieties of wood, or ply vs solid. I don't know what he's saying about "higher pitch" ;)

imo lighter is better in the long run for comfort reasons but lighter woods usually tend to dent and chip easier.

But if you're gonna hit some guy in the front row over the head with one..then heavier definitely works best.

Tough decision.

Please refer to this topic for more info:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15770

The bodies are probably different varieties of wood' date=' or ply vs solid. I don't know what he's saying about "higher pitch" [confused']

imo lighter is better in the long run for comfort reasons but lighter woods usually tend to dent and chip easier.

But if you're gonna hit some guy in the front row over the head with one..then heavier definitely works best.

Please refer to this topic for more info:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15770

Thanks for the link... very interesting.

Yeah, I agree. The pickups trump the wood/ply or bolt on vs. set neck. That was the genius of (forgive me) Leo Fender, to realize this. Any slab of wood and a bolt on neck will do the trick!

IMO, over the years, it's usually a good sign if, when unplugged, the SOLID body guitar "rings out" a bit. I don't think it's so much the wood as the punchy-ness of the overall set up. This particular Special II that I just got rings out surprisingly well unplugged.

Knocking on it, it almost sounds like the body is hollowed out in some spots? Kinda wild.

Yeah, its probably a variation in the woods. My ply G-310 is super light. However, ply doesnt always mean lighter. It depends on the wood they use for the ply. My S-500 (strat type) is ply and as heavy & hefty as any full-sized alder strat...and its routed SSH with a ton of body mass missing for the trem. Its a freaking tank.

Yeah' date=' its probably a variation in the woods. My ply G-310 is super light. However, ply doesnt always mean lighter. It depends on the wood they use for the ply. My S-500 (strat type) is ply and as heavy & hefty as any full-sized alder strat...and its routed SSH with a ton of body mass missing for the trem. Its a freaking tank.[/quote']

I have an Ibanez Roadstar II (ply) that is SOOOOO heavy! Also a tank. Love the sound, but it motivated me to get something lighter so I can stand to play it standing up/with a strap. I don't know what's under the purdy finish of this Special II, but it sure is light!

I didn't know that we're supposed to be entertaining in these posts.

That's what the YouTube link is for' date=' whether or not it's entertaining is purely subjective.[/quote']

Ah, well. To each their own, you know? I was entertained. I love your avatar guitar, gl297. What is that exactly? A Junior?

The Epiphone site says the Special II's are made of basswood. That would explain why it is so light.

Personally, I dont mind heavy guitars. I'm used to having a bass strapped to me, so any guitar feels light in comparison.

The Epiphone site says the Special II's are made of basswood. That would explain why it is so light.

Personally' date=' I dont mind heavy guitars. I'm used to having a bass strapped to me, so any guitar feels light in comparison. [/quote']

Ah, well, yes. For a bassist, any guitar is light I guess.

The thing that threw me was that the wine red one was lighter than the Specials in other colors! Seriously. And I was in another guitar shop today, and found the same thing! What the hey?

You got the experimental one where they feed the tree helium based fertilizer for 26 years before cutting it done and making your guitar. That's why the wood is so much lighter than usual. Just be grateful you didn't get the one from the hydrogen experiment. I've heard heavy metal can cause them to explode.

You got the experimental one where they feed the tree helium based fertilizer for 26 years before cutting it done and making your guitar. That's why the wood is so much lighter than usual. Just be grateful you didn't get the one from the hydrogen experiment. I've heard heavy metal can cause them to explode.

LOL [biggrin]

Light woods are usually more resonant and sound better, and heavy woods will give you more sustain, but lack the tonal properties of light woods.

Example: Swamp Ash and Regular Ash. Swamp ash is light and sounds great, but lacks the 'chunk' necessary for say... a Les Paul. Regular heavy ash will help increase the sustain on a tremolo guitar like strat, but won't sound as good as an identical guitar made of Swamp Ash. FUN FACT: Swamp Ash and regular Ash are the same species. Swamp ash is from the part of the tree that grows underwater.

There are exceptions of course: Basswood is very light and sounds like crap to me. Mahogany is a medium-heavy wood and is still really resonant.

Ah' date=' well. To each their own, you know? I was entertained. I love your avatar guitar, gl297. What is that exactly? A Junior?[/quote']

Thanks, yes it's a gold colored junior with a Dean "Mountain of Tone" humbucker installed. I just got it recently. It's an older model with the "Gibson" truss rod cover.

Example: Swamp Ash and Regular Ash. Swamp ash is light and sounds great' date=' but lacks the 'chunk' necessary for say... a Les Paul. Regular heavy ash will help increase the sustain on a tremolo guitar like strat, but won't sound as good as an identical guitar made of Swamp Ash. FUN FACT: Swamp Ash and regular Ash are the same species. Swamp ash is from the part of the tree that grows underwater.

[/quote']

I have a bass made from swamp ash. It is unbelievably heavy. I think its still waterlogged.

Special2CherryBomb I don't know what's under the purdy finish of this Special II' date=' but it sure is light![/quote']

Thsi "lightness" of the git could be caused by a couple of thing - a lower grade

mahog used, and the fact that it's a FLAT-TOP, no carved top to add weight.

I played with mine (uh-oh, here we go again) for a couple of hours recently,

no complaints...

This is what's under the finish of an LP Special II, a thin veneer covering,

Go further down, it's a 3-piece glued mahog (cheap mahog) body. I just finished

redoing one...

100_0533.jpg

100_0534.jpg

End product:

100_0561.jpg

This is what's under the finish of an LP Special II' date=' a thin veneer covering,

Go further down, it's a 3-piece glued mahog (cheap mahog) body. I just finished

redoing one...

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/100_0533.jpg[/img]

100_0534.jpg

End product:

100_0561.jpg

Man, that looks great! How did you get such clean lines around the edges?

Man' date=' that looks great! How did you get such clean lines around the edges?[/quote']

Thanks, Robin - The voice of reason in an otherwise turbulent

forum world! I HAND-SANDED using a 2" x 1.5" x 3/8" wood block

wrapped with sandpaper. Left nice, clean edges. Oh, crud - wrong pic,

look at SECOND one!!!!!!

whenrelicsgobad2.jpg

100_0537.jpg

Thanks' date=' Robin - The voice of reason in an otherwise turbulent

forum world! I HAND-SANDED using a 2" x 1.5" x 3/8" wood block

wrapped with sandpaper. Left nice, clean edges. Oh, crud - wrong pic,

look at SECOND one!!!!!!

[/quote']

LOL! Today, maybe!

A sanding block, eh? Sounds time consuming, but the results are fantastic.

I love the natural top with the white sides/back. You are getting very good at this.

i read something about.

the heavier the guitar' date=' the higher the pitch

so heavy = better[/quote']

Sorry Bliss,

I don't quite agree with that as I have a G400 that feels like it's made of lead! It's a "DW" production and is a load of crap!

Digger

gecko.gif

Everytine I see this darn lizard' date=' I want to buy "GEICO" insurance....[/b']

The 70's Hondo II refinish I did, the body was laminated plywood

layers, weighed as much as an Anchor. Who wudda thought?

If you look closely at last pic, you should be able to see layers in neck

pocket...

this1.jpg

100_0236.jpg

100_0273.jpg

I have a bass made from swamp ash. It is unbelievably heavy. I think its still waterlogged.

If it's heavy, it's not Swamp Ash. It's regular Ash. They look identical. Being underwater doesn't change the grain, But for some reason it will make the wood really light and resonant. My Tokai P-bass is swamp ash and the body only weighs about 4 lbs.

Archived