Gibson Brands Forums

Some questions about the LP Custom and BB

Stignos

Hello everyone!

I have been reading some threads about these two guitars and I am still not sure of which one to pick.

I am going to start learning guitar playing and I do believe a good instrument that will last me a long time (or always) is required to do so, and since I have a huge LG Fetish I dont know which one to choose, I love all kinds of guitar sounds (From Dire Straits to Pantera, so you can catch my drift) and would like to be able to play anything, in due time that is.

What would you guys choose, the Custom or the BB

I would also like to ask about the insanely cheap prices in ebay, I mean in the shop they where asking for 560 on a BB and in ebay you see em for 295 and so on, any way of knowing if this is legit stuff?

Thanx for the answers in advance

Either of the two will suit you down to the ground, I would suggest that you go to your nearest authorized Epi dealer and play them to see which one your prefer! My custom is just awesome and is a great go-to guitar.

The cheap ones on eBay........................99% will be fakes. The cheapest Custom that I found new was £469 and BB was £499 from authorized Epi dealers. Only buy used if you know what to look for in a fake!

Good luck in your quest :D

Stignos, Hi! Either one of these guitars would be a good guitar to have. Although with the music you tend to like

I would lean more toward the Les Paul. If I were you, I'd stay away from Ebay (or Evil Bay, as some of the guys

call it). Especially since you noticed that the prices seem to be rather low compared to the legit authorized dealer.

You'd be taking your chances, sight unseen and unable to play it first and you could be getting a fake (as there seem to

be a lot of those floating around on Ebay). If you have access to a local Epiphone dealer and they carry both models

of the guitars you want to check out, I'd do that. No two guitars are alike, even same models. That's why it's always

good to be able to play one before you buy it. With that you can hear how it sounds both acoustically and then plugged

into an amp and you can judge for yourself whether or not it's the right guitar for you. I'm not sure if you mentioned how

much money you have to spend or if money is not an option. That's also a factor in choosing a guitar. But if you have the

bucks, by all means get the best guitar you can for the buck. The better the guitar, the better it will be for your playing ability. But regardless of that, it's best to check out a guitar you want to buy first hand if you want to see what's best

for you. It's quite another story if you inherit or are given a guitar by someone. In that case you get what's given to

you; no choice. It seems like you have a choice, so make a good one.

What would you guys choose' date=' the Custom or the BB[/quote']

I would go for the Black Beauty (actually I own one). But: You should definitely play it before buying. The 3 PU setup is not everybody's cup of tea from a mechanical point of view. There's no free space between neck and bridge PU, and depending on your playing style you may bang on the middle PU cover with the pick. However the Black Beauty is more versatile, especially when you apply some slight modifications to the wiring to make the middle pickup controllable separately. The factory wiring enables the middle and bridge pickup in the middle PU selector position, this sounds different from a 2 pickup LP, more like a Strat in middle/neck position. Great for playing Mark Knopfler sounds.

Hello everyone!

Thanx for the answers!

I forgot how much each one would set me back! Sorry about that!

LP Custom would be 495 pounds

LB BB 560 pounds

From what you guys are telling me the only difference is the thrid Humbucker, I am no Santana or anything but I would like to be able to play all kinds of sounds, if the custom can do that for me the both look awsome to me. The BB maybe being too crowded, maybe.

I checked the guitars out at a local retailer, they have been open for over 20 years and is the main shop in town, so id guess they sell the legit stuff.

The guy is the shop did also choose the Custom over the BB because for him the third Humbucker got in his way when picking away.

I will go to the shop tomorrow and get one of these babys, so please give me yours thoughts!

Well, now that you have chosen your weapon, what finish will it be?

Ebony, Alpine White, Heritage Cherry Sunburst or even Silverburst?

In any case, you won't be disappointed.

Ebony, no doubt.

I do like all the colours but for me Ebony LP Custom is just visual poetry, I hope that in the future my skill allows me to do justice to its visage.

I bought my LP Custom this morning, I also got a Peavey Vypyr 15 Amp as recomended by the store clerk.

Now the real quest begins! I have to learn to play it!

Its not gonna be easy but ill work hard!

Any tips or sites any of you know that are good for learning?

Congratulations on the new guitar!

Ebony' date=' no doubt.

I do like all the colours but for me Ebony LP Custom is just visual poetry[/quote']

Nicely said. Just my thought, for me the ebony Les Pauls are the archetype of the Les Paul custom. They make other beautiful LP Customs as well, e.g. the dark red one, or the natural. But ebony is an all time classic, nothing compares to the Black Beauty.

Archived