Gibson Brands Forums

Now the Neck Pup Is Down?!

deflepfan

Will have to take the Agile apart, again. Went to use it yesterday and the neck pup is a no-go!#-o I just reconnected the ground on this thing.:D Couldn't they have both gone at the same time? NOOO!

Just venting. I may be able to get to it later today. Hope it's just a wire. Hmmm. Maybe a total re-wire is in order.

Sheila

Wow, this is totally nuts!!!! Sounds like it's time to pull covers off both

switch and knobs, do visual inspect, do multimeter resistance/continuity

"point-to-point" checks on wires going from pup(s) to switch, then switch

back to jack. BUT, the bridge pup is good by what you're saying, so problem

will hopefully be isolated to neck pup.

1. Does neck pup play AT ALL? (with switch in Neck position OR in Middle),

looking for a pickup output from either position to see if it's still alive...

2. Are there "Drop Bears" in Cape Cod?

Possible Switch problem, Wire problem, or (shudder) Pup problem.

cryingMan.jpg

I had checked the pup with the switch in all positions. And I had already considered the switch as being the issue. When I first got the guitar I noticed that the switch would spin around. I figured at some point it would cause a problem.

BUT, I have a secret desire that it is the pup! :D I was playing with the Agile this morning and looked up and there she was, sitting so pretty in her stand - The Junior!! And my thoughts started to waunder towards new pups in the Agile, and maybe a total mod! It would have to wait a bit, but I could start ordering parts and work on it later in the summer!!

If this happens (and I'm leaning towards it) I'll be looking for recommendations for replacement parts!

Stay tuned!

Sheila

Sheila:

You are not alone... I just purchased a brand new Epiphone LP Special SC (P90) and all I did was open up tha back cavity and take a look... After screwing the cover back on, the neck pickup and middle position didn't work... Those chinese electronics are crap... Full of Gremlins...

Anyway I was going to replace them anyway... I have the new pots, switch, jack etc.. in my guitar now...

You can always quickly wire up your pickup to an old jack laying around... Plug in and tap the pup with a screwdriver.... That will let you know if you pup is alive or not...

Sheila:

You are not alone... I just purchased a brand new Epiphone LP Special SC (P90) and all I did was open up tha back cavity and take a look... After screwing the cover back on' date=' the neck pickup and middle position didn't work... Those chinese electronics are crap... Full of Gremlins...

Anyway I was going to replace them anyway... I have the new pots, switch, jack etc.. in my guitar now...

You can always quickly wire up your pickup to an old jack laying around... Plug in and tap the pup with a screwdriver.... That will let you know if you pup is alive or not... [/quote']

Sorry to hear the that! Curious if others are having problems with their SC's. A few of the members here have them.

Still think it's the switch but will know for sure later when I test it out.

Sheila

Sheila

Take a voltmeter and trace the issue down. When a pup suddenly stops working' date=' it's rarely the pup that is causing the problem.[/quote']

[biggrin][cool]:-#

Wondering if the 3 way switch is one of those "sealed in a box"

specials, rather than the the good

'ol mechanical... Prefer the mechanical, I've disassembled 2 broken

mech switches and reassembled the good parts to make one useable

switch...

Anxiously awaiting what you find/see/have.

If the "sealed in a box" switch isn't mechanical' date=' what is it?[/quote']

I'm "assuming" low quality, mass-produced, prone to failure switch.

Of course it has "mechanical" attributes! It goes CLICK, CLICK, eh?

If I had one here, I'd go ahead an open it up for grins just to see what

is inside.....

I'm "assuming" low quality' date=' mass-produced, prone to failure switch.

Of course it has "mechanical" attributes! It goes CLICK, CLICK, eh?

If I had one here, I'd go ahead an open it up for grins just to see what

is inside..... [/quote']

OK, that makes sense. Not.

You have to excuse Animal. He sometimes goes off in a direction where no one can follow. [blink] But' date=' we love him anyways!![biggrin']

Sheila

I thought it made perfect sense.... Did NOT! Did TOO! Did NOT! DID TOO!

StraightJacket.jpg

Archived