Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00 Tie wrap as saddle shim???

kung fu elvis

No, but I'm getting ready to take mine in for a nut/saddle upgrade. It'll be interesting to see if mine is the same. That is NOT the quality I would expect from Epiphone. I'm a retired engineer from John Deere and we would NEVER have accepted that. Dean

Doesn't happen often but sometimes the re-saler will do that, and it ends up giving Epiphone a bad name for it. You'd think they of all folks would know better but they don't care once they have your money, not sure why you'd bother changing the nut, won't make even a slight difference in sound and you save a few buck on maybe a buffalo bone or something more exotic for a saddle.Ship ...........and Dean your right on about john deere someones *** would be grass if they ever tried that kind of stunt.S

well thats not possible Kung fu I just realized that you are from Canada also, we have someone back east who distributes Epiphones for Canada and ship from Ontario, just for your record I would send it back and have themn send youa new one. That is unacceptable from whoever it came from and just for the record so you know because it came across the border your guitar does not have a life time warranty. Once it cross's the border it became a one year warranty only.do complain nicely and maybe you'll get something out of them for your inconvenience of that? Well either way I hope you enjoy it whatever your going to do.Ship

I ordered mine from Long and Mcquade and the guy there told me that Yorkville is their Epiphone/Gibson dist. I asked this when he was looking for the case for it and he mentioned Yorkville and I thought he was looking for a Yorkville one which I didn't want.

Also from what I recall Epiphone/Gibson doesn't ship direct to Canada. Though I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about my EL-00 because my wife bought it and had it set-up for me as a gift.

But, I bought a DR-500M from a local music store and wanted them to set it up. When the tech was changing strings, he removed the bridge saddle and there was a thin plastic shim under the saddle. Removed it and the guitar was set up, except for new strings.

My old Tanglewood had two plastic shims under the bridge saddle. The guitar tech in the shop at the time told me that a lot of manufacturers at the low/mid price range do this to allow for ease of adjusting the action. Shim it high at manufacture to speed up set up adjustment (i.e. no fret buzz without too much tweaking required) then shop or user can lower the action very quickly and simply at a later date (and spend more time on getting set up right)

Made sense to me at the time and when I think about it still does - two shims gives you high, medium and low action without having to replace or sand the saddle and all that's need is a quick tweak of the truss rod to suit.

Archived