Gibson Brands Forums

Help on reparing a Epiphone Les Paul Standard

rogeriobps

Hi to all,

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Cherry Sunburst) from 1997, produced in Saein, Korea. All electric components are in a very weak condition so I´m going to have to replace them. Volume and tone pots work occasionally and when they work they make a huge noise , the toggle switch is broken, the swithcraft jack isn´t working fine and I have to find a right position for it to work... Pickups are also very weak...

I´ve already ordered a Bill Lawrence L500 XL and a L500 R pickups for bidge and neck positions from Bill n´ Becky (www.billlawrence.com). Now I need to replace all the other electric components. I´d like your advice and help on where I can buy these electric components. I´d like high quality electrics, to obtain the best sound the Bill Lawrence pickups can deliver. I think that for the L500 XL I need a pot the at least 500K.

I´m from Portugal, Europe, so I don´t know if you guys know any stores here in Europe that sell components for Epiphones. If not, American stores that ship internationally will do.

I´m looking for high quality components only. I want to invest my money on something that I´m sure that´s good and will help the pickups deliver there great sound capacities.

Thank you and looking foward for all your help and advice [biggrin]

Best,

Roger Santos

There Is a difference between CTS and ALPHA brand

pots:

http://www.hoaglandbrothers.com/pages/FAQ.htm

First distributor that comes to mind that sells

in portugal is ALLPARTS:

http://www.allparts.com/Guitar-Electronics-s/18.htm

They have a distributor in Barcelona, Spain that services

Portugal, also.

http://www.allparts.com/International-Distributors-s/195.htm

BBM Company

Passatge de Nogués, 19

08025 BARCELONA, SPAIN

Tel: +34 932138931

Fax: +34 932849285

www.bbmcompany.es

Not sure if this is of any help....

-All I can say is kudos for the Lawrence p'ups. I have an L-500XL in one of my guitars. Killer p'up and very versatile. I would stick with CTS pots for your guitar. Don't put something cheap in there with those sweet p'ups coming. You may even find a good wiring kit on eBay.

L8R,

Matt

Thank you all for your help.

I´ll go for CTS pots and Switchcraft jack and toggle, although I´m not sure which CTS pots I must buy... Long shaft pots, Short shaft pots? Audio taper, Linear taper?

Will I need capacitors? How many and which ones?

Bill Lawrence has a filter for sale that I´m not sure if it works as a capacitor... Don´t know if I need to have a capacitor in case I have that filter...

Lonesomeagle1, you have good taste and I´m glad to know that you like Port Wine [biggrin] . Quinta do Noval has great Port Wine.

Thank you all

Roger

-I have CTS audio taper, short shafts in my Epi. You just have to open the holes in the top a tiny bit because you will be going from a metric pot to an SAE sized one. Also pick up two Orange Drop .022 caps for your tone controls. In mine I have a .022 for the bridge, and a .015 for the neck p'up. Are you getting the Q Filter from Bill? I can't remember if it replaces to tone caps or if it's wired in series with them. Bill or Becky should be able to answer that one better than me.

L8R,

Matt

One small point from very recent (well, ongoing) experience.

Forum member Alansaab is doing the exact same job on my 98 LP Std.

We used quality braided wire, but the found that the bore holes between the cavities were much narrower on my LP than on alan's 2004 model.

Consequently, it was a real struggle trying to force the braided wires through the holes.

This ended up with the wires themselves being damaged and will require to be changed for a narrower gauge.

So, it's worthwhile taking a quick look at the sizes first before ordering the wires since not all LP's are the same.

Pete

Thank you all for the replys.

No, I didn´t get the Q Filter but I was wondering if it would be better then tone caps. I sent Bill n Becky an email regarging this, still waiting.

StreakyPete, did you buy a wiring kit? If yes, could you tell me where? Which wires are you using now and that fitted the bore holes without damage?

Regarding Switchcraft jack and toggle, will I also have to open the holes a bit more? Or will the standard existing ones house the jack and toggle from Switchcraft?

Thank you all.

Best,

Roger

Hi Rog,

Didn't buy a wiring kit per se, but instead ordered individual components seperately.

I had hoped to get everything from this dealer:

http://www.sinewavemusic.co.uk/prod24gibsonwire.html

But, sadly they'd run out of stock on cts pots with 3-4 weeks waiting time.

So instead, I got everything from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130400703195&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was slightly miffed to discover that the £16 'premium quality' toggle switch was inferior to switchcraft which can be bought for about half that price, but other than that, all was kosher!

Like I said, the braided wire was just too much for MY guitar, but that's not to say that it won't by OK for yours.

A quick look under the rear plate should be enough to let you know if you've got enough room.

Mine was less than a third of an inch wide, whereas Alan's was two or three times wider than that.

I can't tell you where to get the narrower gauge wire. Alan 'procured' some for me.

I can't tell you where he got it from, only that the roof light on his Saab will never shine again!! :)

We didn't have to widen the hole for the toggle, but had wo widen for the pots and the jack.

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks for the reply StreakyPete BigGrin .

Looks like the Q-Filter is wired in series with tone caps. At least thats what Shannon, Bill Lawrence´s daughter, wrote on the email she sent me.

I was thinking in getting Schaller´s Tune O Matic bridge piezo: http://guitar-bridge.com/hp135018/Guitar-Bridges-GTM-Piezo.htm?ITServ=C5e682614X129b3354aaeXY3a69 .

Will this bridge fit on my Les Paul´s current bridge holes?

Thank you.

Best,

Roger

Archived