Gibson Brands Forums

Alleykat vs. Pass--opinions?

bloozeguy

I've been trying to grab a used Joe Pass for a while now. 'Round here, they used to be all over the place, and now I can't find 'em! Meanwhile, a mom-n-pop in the area has 2 new Alleykats (still! black & cherryburst, FYI). Been reading (Harmony Central) about just how versatile this thing is and gave it a try. A beautiful sounding guitar! Maybe the neck is a bit chunkier than the Pass's--but just a bit.

Looking towards learning jazz, picking up a little light electric blues, and once in a blue moon cranking the sucker up.

For these purposes, the Godin Kingpin II would be real nice, but prob'ly not at twice the price.

Thoughts?

I love the JP.

Outside of the Falcon, it is my "go to" hollow.

The Alley &/or Wildkat are cool too, and I hope to someday add one to the stable.

GAS relief is best taken care of based on opportunity & availability.

Try both & take one of 'em home.

A JP will come along soon enough.

Both are excellent guitars, but they're very different. The AlleyKat's chambered body makes it behave more like a 335 than a hollow body like the JP. It has a tighter response, more sustain, and a brighter tone than the Joe Pass. Whether that's a good thing or not depends on your style of music and your idea of ideal guitar tone.

I love the JP.

Outside of the Falcon' date=' it is my "go to" hollow.

The Alley &/or Wildkat are cool too, and I hope to someday add one to the stable.

GAS relief is best taken care of based on opportunity & availability.

Try both & take one of 'em home.

A JP will come along soon enough.[/quote']

Thanks for the comments so far. Very useful.

Your comment on "GAS relief" may go on my kitchen wall, framed, in early-American type-set, as these are truly words of wisdom! Under present circumstances, an argument for the AK. Read on...

I have tried both and Parabar's comments are accurate. I think the AK can sound pretty deep with a near-acoustic tone, though, for as thin as it is. But, yeah, what I'm kinda going for is probably more easily found in the Pass. Am also thinking that practice with the JP would be easier--wouldn't have to plug in.

The neck issue is also pretty big. I have a pretty clunky left hand and the JP's neck feels like a slightly thinner profile. Accurate?

Tried the Wildkat once, and I couldn't seem to get the "twang" out of it. A fine box, but not where I'm going.

If it sounds like I'm telling myself to cool my jets and hold on for a well-priced JP, that may well be the case. No real hurry--mostly for recreational use. But any further thoughts from anyone on the comparative merits of these 2 models (and maybe that Godin, too) would be appreciated.

I can't help at all but you're killing me' date=' talking about a new AK in Cherryburst just waiting for a home....................[/quote']

Carpenter's in Hagerstown, MD. If you miss the cherryburst, there's a black one still there, too. $499. I'll vouch for the condition of the c'burst. Don't know if they do mailorder. I mean, who doesn't--but it's Hagerstown.

Archived