Gibson Brands Forums

Authenticity of a Gibson SG special faded

BryanFoFyan

i am planning on purchasing a Gibson SG but am not quite sure if its authentic as i am not very good at noticing slight differences. the serial is registered but ive heard that doesnt mean anything. I will be very greatful for any help on this issue. these are the only pictures i have sorry for the bad quality.

35let5k.jpg

2nuljkm.jpg

2ujqrmc.jpg

20u8xg5.jpg

I have that guitar and it looks just like mine except that the s/n on mine doesn't have a gold tint to it (maybe just the way your picture was taken). Something about this guitar that looks er.. sort of cheap, is the truss rod cover. Its really low quality even for a low buck Gibson and I swapped mine out right away.

If your really in doubt, one thing you can do is check if the volume and tone pots have "Gibson" stamped on them. Over all a really nice guitar especially if you can get a good deal.

i am planning on purchasing a Gibson SG but am not quite sure if its authentic as i am not very good at noticing slight differences. the serial is registered but ive heard that doesnt mean anything. I will be very greatful for any help on this issue. these are the only pictures i have sorry for the bad quality.

35let5k.jpg

FYI' date=' if you're curious about the serial #, here's the code. The last 4 digits are the production #. The 1st & 5th digits are the year:

[b']0[/b]26650460 indicates 2005

The three digits between the 0 & 5 indicated the day it was made:

026650460 means it was made on the 266th day of the year. Just as an example, 001 would be January 1st, 032 would be February 1st...

Archived