Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Head or Combo??

I am trying to decide. I would like to have the combo just because I don't have anything really portable hanging around, but from what I'm reading people don't like the combo as much as the head.

Basically, no matter what, in the studio setup I would be running it thru a 12" Celestion. My question is: would I lose anything by going with the combo as opposed to the head? Is there any sacrifice in tone by plugging the combo thru a cab versus running a head thru a cab? my thinking is probably no, but I'd like opinions.

A "no, you're an idiot" is okay too. I don't mind being an idiot. I do mind not having to play thru my solid state amp anymore tho!!

A "no' date=' you're an idiot" is okay too. I don't mind being an idiot. I do mind not having to play thru my solid state amp anymore tho!![/quote']

I don't think you're an idiot. And I don't know the answer to your question

But when you say, " I do mind not having to play thru a solid state amp,"

you are in fact saying, " I want to play thru a solid state amp."

I knew what you meant. But you actually wrote the complete opposite. And then you go on to say you don't mind being an idiot.

I couldn't help thinking that was kinda funny. [biggrin]

that would be one of those double negative things that they were telling me about when i was spending $20k a year for a journalism degree. i swear i went to class.

thanks for that.

Anyone with an answer though? it seems like there's not really any traffic thru this part of the forum...might ask to move this to the electrics for a bit.

No......the Epi VJ chassis is identical in the head and the combo, provided they're the same version (there've been versions 1 through 3, as far as I know) There should be no problem running a speaker cable from the correct ohm output of a combo to a speaker cab.

• 1 month later...

I am trying to decide. I would like to have the combo just because I don't have anything really portable hanging around, but from what I'm reading people don't like the combo as much as the head.

Basically, no matter what, in the studio setup I would be running it thru a 12" Celestion. My question is: would I lose anything by going with the combo as opposed to the head? Is there any sacrifice in tone by plugging the combo thru a cab versus running a head thru a cab? my thinking is probably no, but I'd like opinions.

A "no, you're an idiot" is okay too. I don't mind being an idiot. I do mind not having to play thru my solid state amp anymore tho!!

So... what did you decide to do?

So... what did you decide to do?

I completely forgot about this thread! haha. I tried the VJ (too muddy for my taste), Champ (terrible, farty tone), Super Champ (ok but underwhelming), AC15 (decent but I didn't want to match my friend's amp), AC4 (OMG), and I decided on the Vox AC4 route in the end. I got a killer deal on the 8" combo, and an even better deal on the 12" extension cab...I ended up getting the whole package for about $250. The head/cab setup is selling on MF for $350 and only has one speaker option, so I felt pretty good about it!

The Vox is phenomenal, one of the best little amps I've ever played through. It doesn't have a ton of clean headroom, which is a bit of a problem through the 8" but is perfect through the 12", as the db difference is something like 20 db between the two speakers. I plan on getting an Eminence Wizard speaker for the cab in the future, but for right now the stock speaker is actually very, very nice. The nice thing I've discovered about having the two different speakers is I can record a very full-sounding rhythm guitar through the 12", then unplug and record an incredible lead tone with the 8", and a bit more gain. The 8" speaker actually doesn't sound boxy at all with a bit of reverb thrown in, although without any it is pretty small and boxy sounding. That's what I got the extension cab for, though.

In a jam situation, I was a little underpowered with the 8" before the extension cab arrived. I didn't have enough clean for my personal taste, because I had to crank it a bit to balance with the drummer. Once I got the extension cab, I haven't had any issues with that. The thing that strikes me is that my AC4 isn't too much quieter than my lead guitarist's AC15. When we both have our volumes at about 9'oclock, the difference in volume is barely noticeable.

Overall, I love the Vox. I'd highly recommend getting one, if you're looking for an awesome low-wattage tube amp with a ton of versatility. I'm the singer in the band, and in a smaller gig I can play through it with no problems...and in the medium-sized club we played at a couple of weeks ago, we ran my AC4 through the PA with my vocs and the sound guy loved it! It was wayyyyy easier to balance vocs and guitar that way, and it certainly got a lot of positive reviews. The guitarist for the band we opened for even came up to me asking if I could let him play through it.

If you can swing it, get the Vox. At least try it out. You'll probably be happy you did!

Archived