Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone les paul or sg?

Go for an Epi with a set (glued rather than bolt on) neck as these are generally considered to be more appropriate for gigging/recording because of the sustain afforded by the set neck. I don't know exactly what the US prices are but in your price range (or just above) I'd say you're looking at either a LP studio or an SG G-400. Both are great guitars that are good platforms for modding in order to improve things like electronics/pickups and hardware. They are also both available in 'faded' versions which are slightly cheaper than the 'glossy' versions. However, the latter do look nicer, IMO.

Which you get may depend on your musical tastes and how the guitar feels in your hands. LPs are heavier, have a fatter unlugged tone and give you a very thick creamy sound (think Slash or Jimmy Page.) SGs are much lighter, have total upper fret access but can be neck heavy unless you use a wide leather/suede strap. SGs are not so creamy in their tone but have more attack because of the thinner body (think Angus Young of AC/DC.) Most people also think there is less need to replace the pickups in a G-400 because the alnico V neck pickup is less muddy with higher gain settings compared to the Classic (PAF copy) neck pickup in the LP. Therefore, if you want to play higher gain music, a G-400 might suit you better as stock but if you play a lot of cleans/lower gain you might like the LP pickups better.

Does this help?

Alan

I picked up a used Ebony LP Standard for $265 in perfect condition. Friends can't believe I didn't buy it new and it came with a hard case and an extra set of strings in the bargain. Don't be afraid to buy used, just take your time to find a good deal.

I still want an SG though! LOL

Thanks after reading that makes me wanna get one even more now!!

That's the idea! You now have G.A.S.- Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

This place is like the Betty Ford clinic for people who are trying to come to terms with this terrible addiction. Nicotine is apparently one of the most addictive of naturally occuring substances. Well they forgot about the likes of mahogany, rosewood, maple, korina etc....

Archived