Gibson Brands Forums

Are Both Sherrys real?

kilf

Hi guys

I used to have a Ibanez as103 but I have a feeling there was something wrong with the truss rod as I could not achieve low action and when you turned it Nothing happened. I traded it for a Tele BIG mistake they suck semi's are the best I will never get a guitar again other than a semi they are just so damn comfortable to play ANYWAYS........

Ive kinda narrowed my choice down to a sheraton2 I love the look nice but not overkill like my as103 was I want 1 in natural as I love how it looks and the back looks amazing, Ive also read they have a nice thin neck is this true? Ive also heard the pickups suck is this true? or just guitar snobs? ...If it is true what are common choices for replacements? must be covered though I hate uncovered look.

I was look on Ebay at some and I to my surprise saw a natural with 2 different necks 1 appears to be a 5 piece ( love the look of this guitar the back is beautiful ) and the other appears to be a 1 piece and looks poo to me is the 1 piece real?

links posted below...please respond

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Sheraton-II-hollow-body-electric-guitar-/300449655529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f431eae9#ht_500wt_1154

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Sheraton-II-Natural-335-Dot-Blocks-/160460978124?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255c3837cc#ht_5442wt_944

Thanks guys

They both look real to me... fake Epiphones always seem to have the "Inspected and Setup in USA" sticker, which shouldn't be on a guitar going to Europe, and these seem to have the correct European stickers. The only thing that seemed odd was the font on the label of the first one, but I've never seen an Unsung guitar before, so it could simply be a factory thing.

Thanks for response man but a 5 and 1 piece neck is a pretty huge spec deviation

What about my other questions any ideas?

what did you mean by front on the label and unsung?

The font on the label is bolder than most labels I've seen. Unsung is the factory where that one was made, so it could simply be a different machine stamping them.

The second guitar (with the apparently one-piece neck) is being sold by a dealer, so I would think it is real, though I admit I overlooked it the first time. The plainer wood suggests it's a more recent model, as has been discussed in another thread (titled something along the lines of "Where's the grain?").

As far as the guitar itself goes, the neck is thinner than the Dot, which some prefer. The pickups are all to taste. Some leave them, others do not.

Thanks for response man but a 5 and 1 piece neck is a pretty huge spec deviation

What about my other questions any ideas?

what did you mean by front on the label and unsung?

Sheratons had a laminated 5-piece neck until fairly recently. In the last couple of years, Epiphone has changed the spec to a two piece neck to keep the selling price unchanged (there's a scarf joint in there, just below the round sticker--it's not one piece).

When guitar makers build necks with maple, they usually make them by laminating three or five pieces of wood together because maple is not very stable. It's prone to warp with the weather and with string tension. Since an unlaminated maple neck is not as stable as a liminated one, Epiphone also had to change the neck's profile from one that was relatively thin and flat to a fuller, more rounded one. The extra mass provides extra strength.

It requires more steps and time to laminate the neck, which is why the change to an unlaminated neck allows Epiphone to continue to sell the guitar at the same price it has for the last five or so years.

Red 333

Hi guys

Ive kinda narrowed my choice down to a sheraton2 I love the look nice but not overkill like my as103 was I want 1 in natural as I love how it looks and the back looks amazing' date=' Ive also read they have a nice thin neck is this true?

I was look on Ebay at some and I to my surprise saw a natural with 2 different necks 1 appears to be a 5 piece ( love the look of this guitar the back is beautiful ) and the other appears to be a 1 piece and looks poo to me is the 1 piece real?

links posted below...please respond Thanks guys[/quote']

Kilf,

This one was made in Unsung factory in 2008 (can tell by the picture that shows the label through the f-hole)

and had the older 3-piece maple neck (some say 5 piece because of the two narrow strips). I think this would be

the better of the two. Nice grain in the natural wood, too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Sheraton-II-hollow-body-electric-guitar-/300449655529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f431eae9#ht_500wt_1154

*****************************************************************************************

This one is one of the Chinese models. It has a one piece maple neck, not as solid or nice as the ones on the

Korean made Sheraton IIs, and the grain is very plain. In fact the inlays on the headstock and fingerboard look

better, too, on the Unsung one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Sheraton-II-Natural-335-Dot-Blocks-/160460978124?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item255c3837cc#ht_5442wt_944

Musicians Friend web site lists the neck as "3-piece set maple neck", I dont think they count the two trim pieces (the darker wood strips) as they couldn't add much to the strength of the neck, just decoration sort of. It does seems they sell the laminated neck though.

Musicians Friend web site lists the neck as "3-piece set maple neck"' date=' I dont think they count the two trim pieces (the darker wood strips) as they couldn't add much to the strength of the neck, just decoration sort of. It does seems they sell the laminated neck though.[/quote']

Thier description has not been updated to reflect the change in neck construction, which occurred (I believe) when Epiphone starting building the Sheraton themselves in China. Previously, they subcontracted them to various Korean builders. The current production has a two-piece, unlaminated neck.

I'm not going to debate whether a neck made from 5 pieces of wood is called a 5 piece neck, or not : )

Here is a link to Wildwood guitars, which has photos of the individual guitars they have in stock. Click on the gallery shots, and you will see the Sheraton's neck is now two-piece.

Epiphone Sheraton Two-Piece Neck

Red 333

Archived