Gibson Brands Forums

How do you quiet a buzzing pickup?

dougg330

Hi, all -

Looking for some help from this august group again.

My Sorrento has developed a buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the P-90 bridge pickup. It's not electrical - it seems to be just the cover vibrating against the pickup - which must mean the pickup has come loose somehow from the chrome cover. I've heard that the best remedy is to put some wax in to bind the pickup to the cover (without getting it on the polepieces or winding).

Is this true?

Also - can I just reach for the nearest candle, or do I need some kind of special wax?

Thanks for the help

Dougg330

Hi' date=' all -

Looking for some help from this august group again.

My Sorrento has developed a buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the P-90 bridge pickup. It's not electrical - it seems to be just the cover vibrating against the pickup - which must mean the pickup has come loose somehow from the chrome cover. I've heard that the best remedy is to put some wax in to bind the pickup to the cover (without getting it on the polepieces or winding).

Is this true?

Also - can I just reach for the nearest candle, or do I need some kind of special wax?

Thanks for the help

Dougg330[/quote']

Doug, I'd advise bringing it to a good guitar tech, if you have one in your area, before doing that. If you ruin it, then there goes you Warranty with Epiphone/Gibson. [blush]

Doug, modern Epiphone P90 covers are not soldered to the pickup, so they come right off if you were to remove it. Wax potting is a solution if you have a pickup that's gone microphonic, which doesn't seem to be the problem.

If it were my guitar, I'd carefully remove the cover at the next string change and see if perhaps a small piece of felt between the pickup and cover would quiet the rattle. If not, there's no harm done.

pickup.jpg

[blush]

Check the TOM, but ensure that your strings are well seated in the tailpiece as well, I have that same problem with my Zephyr all the time, a well placed pick fixes the problem.

It might be the cover on the pup, but eliminate other easier problems first.

1000305c.jpg

Everytime I see this thread title, I think of the BEE-GEEs:

Tune of "How can you mend a broken Heart":

"How can you MEND this buzzing pick-up,

How can you stop the Gain from going down?,

How can you STOP - the AMP from Whining,

What makes my strings make sound?"

La,la,la.... B) :-({|=:-s

Archived