Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone cabs

vbm1

I have just left 2 epiphone VJ cabs into my local tech to have celestion speakers fitted. He's attempted to take out the Eminence Speakers but they seem to be stuck in fast. Has anyone any idea how to get the speakers out without damaging the cab.

Regards

I'd say that if it's stuck after the screws have been removed, it's got to be some sort of manufacturing adhesive that the speaker was mounted onto, and it'll require careful prying with some sort of prying device. If you end up gouging and tearing up the baffle, so be it. Replace that too, and find a different tech when the time arrives to get actual tech work done. If this guy can't even figure out how to remove a speaker, he's not likely very good at anything else, tech-related, imo.

We finally got the speaker out of the cab and for some unknown reason it was held in place after the screws by some sort adhesive. The tech went around the speaker housing with a fine blade and out came the speaker. The other cab i had no problems at all except the back was stuck on with yet more bloody glue

As for the guitar tech who done the job if was good enough for Rory Gallagher and Gary Moore amongst others then i think his reputation speaks for itself.

:-k

they never used those Epi-Cabs

#-o

paruwi6172

The guy who fitted the speakers to my Epi Cabs was a Tech for Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore and his work is excellent hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

No wonder he had a hard time with it - those guys had REAL cabs.

Just ribbing ya mate' date=' I have a several Epi amps and cabs and they all have glue spilled everywhere...[/quote']

Brian

Your right they did have REAL cabs hehe

Unfortunately i had to downsize my amp from an AC30 to an Epiphone VJ head though i had it modded serverely and i've just added a second modded VJ. I had the Celestion Greenbacks fitted which are a massive improvement, the Lady Lucks just seemed too muddy.

When the tech was working on the second cab he had to cut the grill in the back of the cab and scrape away the glue from the inside and gentley hammer the back off. Surely Epiphone have some sort of quality control to prevent this from happening and why the hell would anyone put together a cab & speaker with the glue still wet.

I might sell the Lady Lucks what price should i sell them for?

Surely Epiphone have some sort of quality control to prevent this from happening and why the hell would anyone put together a cab & speaker with the glue still wet.

They have quality control - you got a cabinet that worked and looked good, did you not?

They make a finished product. If you want to change it, you can't blame their factory for not making it easy to do.

They have quality control - you got a cabinet that worked and looked good' date=' did you not?

They make a finished product. If you want to change it, you can't blame their factory for not making it easy to do.[/quote']

I'm not disputing that i got a cab that worked and looked etc... What i am disputing is the excess adhesive could have been wiped away easily when the cab was put together especially at the back. I have my cabs looked at every 3-6 months just to keep them in check for gigging and need easy access into the back of the cabs without any problems.

I'm not disputing that i got a cab that worked and looked etc... What i am disputing is the excess adhesive could have been wiped away easily when the cab was put together especially at the back. I have my cabs looked at every 3-6 months just to keep them in check for gigging and need easy access into the back of the cabs without any problems.

Well....wiping off the excess adhesive would take time (albeit, yeah, a very small amount of said time), and time = $$ every penny saved adds up over volume. And, look on the bright side - now that you have it all unstuck, it should stay that way in the future, yes???

Archived