Gibson Brands Forums

do you plug your sg straight to your amp?

deelaz

I only play straight through the amp. (Cornford Roadhouse 30 or Jet City 20h/blackstar HT20) Except during gigs, where a tuner stompbox can save your dignity when you have to fight with an erratic sound engineer.

All in all I think that it's matter of music style. My band started as some old fashion rythme and blues band, and it seemed obivous then to use phaser, whawha, reverb, overdrives, octavia etc...

The girl who had the LSD (lead singer disease) affliction left, and a very bon-scottish friend took her place. I play straight through the amp since.

Nope. I use a whole arsenal of pedals (OD, fuzz, phaser, and reverb). I could plug straight in and crank my amp, but it isn't as much fun. You dig?

As far as plug and play amps, I recommend something with no master volume and as few knobs as possible. Crank the amp till you get the saturation you need and roll back the volume knob on your guitar to clean it up.

• 1 month later...

I don't like things overly complicated and like a no-frills guitar-to-amp simplicity too.

I just got a Marshall Class 5, nice match for my SG Special. However, the Class 5 just has volume, bass, mid and treble and no master volume. Although it's just a 5 watt it is LOUD! So I really have to rely upon my Guv'nor pedal so as not to upset my better half too much. It works though.

Archived