Gibson Brands Forums

Korina Firebird

CharlieS.

Yep, I picked one up at GC in Austin a couple of months ago. It was the Korina Custom Shop Firebird, and there was no question it was mine when I saw it. A month or so later I purchased a Firebird Studio, same guitar except for the wood. There is definitely a difference in sound, however subtle, I wound up selling the regular mahogany Studio since it would be more easily replaced down the line.

I actually tried to sell the Korinabird on Austin Craigslist twice in desperate instances for the same as I asked for the regular Firebird Studio, but had absolutely no responses. Austin is a weird place...but I'm glad I didn't get the opportunity to let her go. She's grown on me now.tongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I picked one up at GC in Austin a couple of months ago. It was the Korina Custom Shop Firebird, and there was no question it was mine when I saw it. A month or so later I purchased a Firebird Studio, same guitar except for the wood. There is definitely a difference in sound, however subtle, I wound up selling the regular mahogany Studio since it would be more easily replaced down the line.

I actually tried to sell the Korinabird on Austin Craigslist twice in desperate instances for the same as I asked for the regular Firebird Studio, but had absolutely no responses. Austin is a weird place...but I'm glad I didn't get the opportunity to let her go. She's grown on me now.tongue.gif

Found it, bought it LOVE it....

Man,, Don't feel bad about the "desperate instances"! Here's a list of cool guitars, I had to let go over the years because the rent was due.

1966 Gibson ES335

1969 Fender Telecaster

1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (sunburst)

1978 Gibson Les Paul "Artisan"

1978 Gibson Les Paul "25/50"

I wish I had 'em all back!

Yep, I picked one up at GC in Austin a couple of months ago. It was the Korina Custom Shop Firebird, and there was no question it was mine when I saw it. ...

That's my problem, then. I'm trying to find one here in Houston. :P #-o[razz]

I need to do "road trip" more.

• 3 years later...

I have one too. Was browsing a local music store and they had one way in the back half out of sight. Had been hanging there for quite a long time- I literally had to brush the dust off to try it out. Liked it a lot but I left it there. Like an earlier poster, I couldn't stop thinking about the thing- had to drive back up the next day and get it. Have never regretted it. This one's quite a bit more lively than my other Firebird; I think it's because of the wood. I like korina!

Has anyone been able to find out how many of these were made? Gibson customer service hasn't answered me on that.

Funny that the Korina Epiphone subject came back up, I just made the decision today, to sell my SG, to pick up an great acoustic 12 string that came along. I'm starting to have second thoughts now. Maybe it's a sign.

d788ffcb-0076-4853-baee-405ed4dcfbf5_zpsf8fa99da.jpg

Funny that the Korina Epiphone subject came back up, I just made the decision today, to sell my SG, to pick up an great acoustic 12 string that came along. I'm starting to have second thoughts now. Maybe it's a sign.

d788ffcb-0076-4853-baee-405ed4dcfbf5_zpsf8fa99da.jpg

I sold my Korina G400 2 years ago and have regretted it ever since :( Now I see on the Boston Craigslist that the guy who bought it has it listed for $475!!!! lol

Does seem a little excessive. The thing with Korina SGs is that on most, the Korina veneer and the mahogany (or whatever they're calling it this week) core don't usually match up, color-wise. I bought mine because it was a great example of matched layers. I've seen some that are down right hideous.

Does seem a little excessive. The thing with Korina SGs is that on most, the Korina veneer and the mahogany (or whatever they're calling it this week) core don't usually match up, color-wise. I bought mine because it was a great example of matched layers. I've seen some that are down right hideous.

The only one I've ever held, was "tint challenged" between layers like that.

Archived