Gibson Brands Forums

Computer problems

Gilliangirl

Karen...

All I can do is grin a lot - for real. Yeah, I'm still up.

<grin> Glad your machine is working.

Seriously, you may wanna consider an external drive - or two - to have at least one if not two backups of stuff you wanna keep.

m

J & K...

Yeah, I'm still on xp at home on a few more than a half dozen machines. My Mom is on 7; bypassed Vista, I think, in spite of ... let's just say a very, very close family connection to MS.

I think the major reason I mentioned XP is that for all intents and purposes the migration to Win7 requires new software, drivers, etc., etc., etc.

PC users I think are more cost conscious than Mac users along those lines. When OSX came along it was pricey in spite of the dual OS ability 'cuz it made using even printers and scanners iffy without a lotta diddling. The company I work for still is XP. The costs of a so-called upgrade in both hardware and software is daunting.

Karen - I agree with getting Firefox. Check here:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/

It's free, as are most add-ons (everything from pdf reader, flash and youtube downloaders.)

m

Sorry Karen I was actually sleeping when you had this melt down; sent ya a reply via phone and it shuts off at 1:00 am automatically every night. Got your email saying everything worked out for ya; congrats. I have a few more suggestion for ya one being dump IE8 and grab Firefox; loads safer and faster. I will try to get with ya later this week and there are a few other things we can do to speed ya up even more. As for being still on XP; nothing wrong with that, majority of all companies still are since they had no confidence in Vista and Microsoft has been forced to still continue supporting and selling XP to my clients and other businesses.

I like the dumping IE idea. IE is as slow as a turtle. However, I wouldn't switch to Firefox. Go with Google Chrome. It's a ****ing speed demon! msp_thumbup.gif

Also, Microsoft is discontinuing support for XP in 2014. Windows 7 is where it's at.

I can get a "free" copy of 7 with a family connection. But I'm waiting for my next computer in 2014 or so.

Why? I've lost most of the software CDs for stuff I've been using for years across Win versions 3.1, 95 and 98. I'm used to them and why should I be forced to spend another $3,000 to update software that won't work on the "new" OS? Mac users went through that with the switch to Unix. No thanks.

More than the software updates, I'll even lose all kinds of proprietary format stuff. The "upgrades" are bloat for my purposes and may or may not even work with some of my files. I lost 3 tech manuals and oodles of files for example when I "lost" one publishing program. Nope. Not until I'm dragged yelling and screaming.

m

Jocko...

With roughly six machines all running XP... Yeah I'm sandbaggin'.

As for the end of the world... I doubt it. End of the cycle? Yeah, I think we're seeing it begin to happen right now - and I hope that isn't being taken as political. Try it this way: Increasing tension between cultures that play guitar a lot as we know it and those that don't; increasing population pressures on resources and ongoing shaky world economy not entirely dissimilar to what followed a decade or so after the U.S. "Civil War" and into the mid 1890s worldwide; probably some other major factor.

As for Chrome... I agree entirely. I've also heard security arguments for and against both Firefox and IE8 from proponents... I personally trust firefox more because largely of more rapid updates.

m

I just retired a machine I bought in 2002.

It's definitely a heat problem, that's what the fan is for.

Another thing you might try is to back up your hard drive and then defrag it. Your HD has to work harder if your files are fragmented, and the harder your HD works, the more heat you will generate.

Back up first, that way in the unlikely event that something goes wrong with the defrag, you will be able to get back to where you are now.

I use Norton Ghost and before I do anything to my computer, even before I add new software or do one of those Microsoft monthly patch updates, I always do an incremental backup (takes 10 minutes or so). I also do an incremental bu every night before I turn the computer off. In addition, once a month, or if the change I want to do to my computer is major I do a complete disk image. It has saved my "you know what" many times. Plus when I try something, I am more relaxed because I know that if I screw up, I can undo it with the backup.

Never-ever block the vents, as they are there to help cool the machine.

Anything you can do to get more cool air inside should help.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Archived