Gibson Brands Forums

RGD

ljt22

This is my first post ever but when I stumbled across you RGD fans I joined to share this story with you:

Back in 1966 or67 I was living in Seattle, Washington-had bought my Martin D-28 on time (first credit purchase) ($440 I think)-taking my first lessons-(Cocaine blues)-RGD was coming to town for a concert and was giving lessons-Took a girlfriend over to learn from the man-was blown away by his playing-wanted to break by my fingers-at the end of the lessons RGD asks if we want to buy a guitar and pulls out a martin 0018 and offers it to us for $175-I (in debt for my martin) declined but girl I was with bought it-talked about letting one get away-not only the guitar but "I bought this from RGD creed"-o well-hope you like the story-Larry

The Reverend was apparently an enterprising fellow. Always glad to get another story.

Btw, on Saturday, went over to Portland to hear Ernie Hawkins, one of RGDs star students. He gave us wonderful performances of Cocaine, Make Believe Stunt, Slow Drag, Fast Fox Trot/Buck Dance and Table Waiting in Heaven. Make Believe (on 12-string) was stunning; Table--exquisite.

It's great -- a nicely updated edition of Tiling's hard-to-obtain self-published Gedenkschrift. Also worth checking out is the straight bio material in Bastin's Red River Blues (which discouraged Tiling from writing a biography by containing everything that's known about the Rev's early days).

-- Bob R

... this thread from Woody mann's old forum, re what guitar he used on the Pure Religion cd: http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/007781.html

Interesting thread! Too bad no conclusions could actually be arrived at. One thing not mentioned was that Ian Buchanan played a J-45/J-50 when Jorma knew him at Antioch (which influenced Jorma to buy his J-50). If Ian was anything like the Rev's other students, it's likely that his guitar choice was heavily influenced by what he saw the Rev playing, which suggests the Rev might have played that script-logo J-45 a fair amount in the late '50s.

-- Bob R

Archived