Gibson Brands Forums

Telstar: The Video

tommyb

This vid is a tribute to one of my favorite songs of 1962 and also the satellite it's named after. An English group, The Tornados, recorded this and it really caught fire in the pre-British Invasion years. The original used a very early synthesizer called a clavioline, which was tube-powered.

The Epi LP 1960 Tribute does the lead and rhythm work with some help from the Gibson SG Standard. Bass is the Epi EB-3SG. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9f385pn5FI

Wow, Tommy ... BEAUTIFUL!

Telstar has alwasy been one of my favorites too, and your version of it is just amazing! Even the recording had that great 60's feel to it.

Masterful, sir ... thanks for sharing!

Jim

Wow, Jim...couldn't ask for a nicer compliment! Truly a labor of love for me. And I'm glad you picked up on the feel of the '60's...I don't think any other sound would have worked. I tried a distorted lead for the melody for more sustain but I just couldn't get a tone I liked. So I tried for a more retro sound.

Tommyb,

Excellent job, very well done! Especially liked the reverb on the lead guitar.

Very 60's. I remember when it first came out. (sorry to say) lol

The only version I could get at that time was on "The Ventures Play Telstar" album.

It also had "Apache" on it...A song Jerrymac recorded and posted for us.

He, also, did a wonderful job and you might be interested in listening to his version.

Once again, Fantastic job and thanks. I love music from that era.

Willy

Tommyb,

Excellent job, very well done! Especially liked the reverb on the lead guitar.

Very 60's. I remember when it first came out. (sorry to say) lol

The only version I could get at that time was on "The Ventures Play Telestar" album.

It also had "Apache" on it...A song Jerrymac recorded and posted for us.

He, also, did a wonderful job and you might be interested in listening to his version.

Once again, Fantastic job and thanks. I love music from that era.

Willy

Thanks, Willy...

I LOVED Apache..another one I used to play back in the day. I'll definitely check out Jerrymac's recording.

Yes, you know your age when you remember when these songs were new...I had the Telstar 45 and wore it out playing it all time.

Sorry...

Forgot to post the link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/52828-saturday-morning-with-jerrymac-more-instrumental-fun/page__p__711631__hl__apache__fromsearch__1#entry711631

Willy

Edit: Now I feel really stupid. When I tested the link I saw that you were the first

member to respond to his post. Oh well, daddy always told me, "If you are going to

be a D*** be a big one!" Sometimes I qualify. lol

Besides, like Telstar, a good song is a good song no matter how many times you hear it.

Sorry...

Forgot to post the link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/52828-saturday-morning-with-jerrymac-more-instrumental-fun/page__p__711631__hl__apache__fromsearch__1#entry711631

Willy

Edit: Now I feel really stupid. When I tested the link I saw that you were the first

member to respond to his post. Oh well, daddy always told me, "If you are going to

be a D*** be a big one!" Sometimes I qualify. lol

Besides, like Telstar, a good song is a good song no matter how many times you hear it.

Hey, I ALWAYS qualify! [biggrin]

The link goes to some kind of search page. But I remember listening to it but I'd love to hear it again.

Archived