Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Junior Double Cut: worth more than a couple hundred?

jivetank

Hey guys,

I picked up this epiphone ten years ago at a guitar show, and have barely played it since. I'm thinking of selling it, but have no idea what it's worth. Rene told me in the stickied i.d. thread that it might be a sought after model. The model (thanks again to Rene) is a Les Paul Junior Double Cut. The serial number is J00020049. You can see pics at my other post: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/54419-id-your-epiphone-here-serial-key-guitardater-link-factory-codes-a-worldwide-guide-%26gt%3Bpart-3/page__view__findpost__p__726840 .

I guess my main question is whether this model is sought after, and if so, how best to go about getting it to someone who would appreciate it. I live in Australia. I was gonna put it in the classifieds for a couple hundred, but thought I should check around first. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam.

It's a very sought-after model, but unfortunately like all Epiphones, it doesn't carry a lot of value with its rarity. That's a very nice example of a DC Junior, and for a player of my tastes it's almost the holy grail of guitars, although I wouldn't pay much more than about NZ$450 (AU $350ish) for it. If I had any free money at all, I'd make you an offer.  #-o

Hope you can find a good home for it.  [thumbup]

Hi

It's a model of guitar that I'd be interested in but whether it's genuinely sought after is something I couldn't say. Sometimes I feel that there's nothing so desirable as that which you can't buy, and when you can it's not so desirable. I always look at it this way, if Epiphone had been selling these by the truckload why would they have been discontinued? On value I'd think roughly in the same ballpark as Sjael, in English money that would be around £200.00 maybe £250.00. For me, closer to the £200.00 mark would be as high as I would go but stick it on ebay and you may get far more, who knows?, I'd go a bit higher for a 2 soapbar P90 model. Unless someone particularly wants the double cut the Gibson Les Paul Junior single cut is is pretty much the same guitar and sells new for around £599.00 in the UK so I guess a reasonable used value for that would be £450.00.

Hey jivetank (& welcome to another Aussie... there are a few of us here... plus our cool Kiwi Bros. like Sjael!)

& I think Sjael is pretty much on the money re the value (& you can trust me when I say, as an obsessive compulsive, that I follow this stuff daily).

I paid a bit more for my single cut Junior... but, it is MIK & signed by 'The Man Himself'... &, most importantly, is an absolutely awesome little geet [thumbup]

The only thing with yours (& I do love those TV DCs) is the Gibson truss rod cover???

My '97 MIK has that, but I thought that practice was all over pre 2000???

Anyway, apart from the good folk you have already heard from, there are some other very knowledgable Epi-brethren here that will be sure to clue you in.

Stay tuned & keep us posted with your progress.

Sweet. Thanks for your help so far everyone. This may be the first thing I've ever owned that's appreciated in value!

I live in Brisbane, so if any readers are close and would be interested in it I'd be happy to let it go for $300. Honestly would like to see it go to someone who would use it and appreciate it.

i got mine for $160$cdn, i think i got a pretty good deal....but there are a few differences between the two, yours has a lp jr sized control plate and mine has a full sized lp control plate, also, yours has a 5 screw pickguard, and mine has a 4 screw pickguard, would those just be some of the things that vary between epi factorys? also, yours looks to have an upgraded bridge........here is mine:

http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sdc10001cz.jpg

i got mine for $160$cdn, i think i got a pretty good deal....but there are a few differences between the two, yours has a lp jr sized control plate and mine has a full sized lp control plate, also, yours has a 5 screw pickguard, and mine has a 4 screw pickguard, would those just be some of the things that vary between epi factorys? also, yours looks to have an upgraded bridge........here is mine:

cool - it's the first time I've seen one that looks so much like mine. How long ago did you get yours?

Do they have Craig's List out there in Australia? If so, post it on there, it won't cost you a thing.

Craigslist hasn't really taken off here like it has in other places. We have a similar service called gumtree which I put it on, already got one feeler. Thanks for the tip.

• 7 months later...

Looking for info about an epiphone junior model double cutaway..i know this thread is old but im really stuck...

what im looking to buy is a 1997 model dc with a gibson cover on the truss rod..the serial number starts with a j. it has a p 90 and five screws on the pickguard and it is cherry red.

any one there to help

thanks

didnt pay over the top for it so..after picking it up cheap...need to fix the nut..the chamber is uneven and the nut was packed up using a piece of card..other than that its playing and planning on upgrading the pickup and tuners..its fitted with a p90 which was the initial lure for me as the later ones ive seen have humbuckers.

the body seems to be a laminate and the neck mahogany..

anyone here have any experience with these guitars?

i reckon epiphone les paul parts should do it..

(this might sound stupid but)does anyone know whether a stop piece bridge can be reversed and used as a wrap around?

(this might sound stupid but)does anyone know whether a stop piece bridge can be reversed and used as a wrap around?

AFAIK, doesn't need to be reversed.... just thread the strings in from the opposite side and wrap 'em over :)

Archived