Gibson Brands Forums

Reference Library

Space Pup

I got a shelf, from Bowsher's revision of Wood's 'The Physics of Music' and Olson's 'Music, Physics and Engineering', through stuff like Prout's 'Harmony, Its Theory and Practice' and his 'Counterpoint, Strict and Free' to those big glossy guitar thrillers like Bacon's 'The Ultimate Guitar Book' and Trynka's 'The Electric Guitar'.

My main reference for 'who the foo do I wire this' or what is that supposed to do, is Denyer's 'The Guitar Handbook'.

How often - blue moons and dog-days.

'course - if I want serious help, I turn to the forums..... and those who know it all.

Sorry - know all the answers eusa_whistle.gif

How many of you out there have a reference library of books or videos on care and maintenence for your guitars? If so how often do you use it?

Got it right 'chere on the internet. Mostly: Frank Ford at Frets.com.

I use "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. It's well written, very thorough and easy to understand. Great book! Even it you don't do your own set-up/repairs, it's tells you just what to expect from a repair

I have several books about guitar repair and maintenance, but I must confess I tend to look for an answer on the Internet first and only go to the books if I can't find what I want or find the information in convoluted form.

What I find most enjoyable about the reference books is the details they will cover that Internet information tends to leave out. For example, a neck reset for a dovetail joined neck requires the removal of the 14th fret, then you drill a hole in that slot so you can run a steam needle to soften the glue in the joint. The Internet will tell you how to do it - the repair manual will tell you exactly what size drill bit to use and whether to drill in the center or off to the side depending on the model of guitar.

So, the books might still be the way to go.

Archived