Gibson Brands Forums

OK.. so how do you clean that GOLD?

RASHARU

I think alot of us will agree that gold tuners/hardware look really nice on a guitar .. BUT .. we also all know that after a while it starts to look really bad. I'm curious about the different methods people have used to clean or polish this gold plating. I actually rubbed a vintage Grover slot-head button down to its silver base one time!

Microfibre cloth and a little huff (warm breath)... that's it. Nothing abrasive, no polishes, no cleaners. And when I'm tuning I use the microfibre cloth so my fingers don't touch the gold. They should last a while with that kind of treatment. If and when they wear, I'll get new buttons.

Microfibre cloth and a little huff (warm breath)... that's it. Nothing abrasive, no polishes, no cleaners. And when I'm tuning I use the microfibre cloth so my fingers don't touch the gold. They should last a while with that kind of treatment. If and when they wear, I'll get new buttons.

+1. It's all you need. I don't polish mine that often and even 2 month old multiple sweaty finger marks come away very easily with this method.

you can't really clean it. you can only help prevent it to some degree. wipe them off after every time you play. the gold is plated very thin over nickel. gold itself doesn't tarnish. what you are doing is wearing through the gold (remember it's SUPER thin) and you are corroding the nickel underneath. that nickel turns grey, pits, and causes the gold to wear off more easily. this exposes more of the nickel and the problem just gets worse.

so, once it happens, you can only hope to contain the damage. the real trick is wiping it gently after you play. don't get too aggressive or you will wipe the plating off and be in the same boat. just get the smudges and oils off.

That's the nature of goldEN plating. It is susceptible to corrosion and it is so thin that the corrosion eats up the thin plating quite quickly. Therefore, I do not like goldEN hardware on my guit tar. Gold, real gold, as we all know does not corrode or otherwise oxidize.

The best approach is to keep it from corroding in the first place. Remove all goldEN hardware from a new guit tar, then spray paint it with clear lacquer. Reassemble. I'm not sure what this does to your warranty.

That's the nature of goldEN plating. It is susceptible to corrosion and it is so thin that the corrosion eats up the thin plating quite quickly. Therefore, I do not like goldEN hardware on my guit tar. Gold, real gold, as we all know does not corrode or otherwise oxidize.

The best approach is to keep it from corroding in the first place. Remove all goldEN hardware from a new guit tar, then spray paint it with clear lacquer. Reassemble. I'm not sure what this does to your warranty.

you seem to suggest that "gold hardware" isn't actually gold. did i read your reply correctly? i think my earlier post explains clearly why gold hardware appears to tarnish (it's the nickel, not the gold)

Maybe someone at Gibson can enlighten us.

Does Gibson use real, atomic number 79, elemental Gold to plate their hardware? Or is it a golden colored substance?

I've been of the understanding that it is the latter, not the former. But... I've been wrong before.

Does Gibson use real, atomic number 79, elemental Gold to plate their hardware? Or is it a golden colored substance?

I've been of the understanding that it is the latter, not the former. But... I've been wrong before.

My tuners aren't made by Gibson but by Grover.

I think alot of us will agree that gold tuners/hardware look really nice on a guitar .. BUT .. we also all know that after a while it starts to look really bad. I'm curious about the different methods people have used to clean or polish this gold plating. I actually rubbed a vintage Grover slot-head button down to its silver base one time!

I recommend replacing with equivalent chrome tuners, for a classier and more robust look !

I am with whoever above said, let it do what it's gonna do.....

I don't mind and neither does anyone listening to me play on my Taylor... (It's the only "gold" tuners/hardware any of my guitars have.) Currently the guitar is 17 years old and still looks pretty good to me...

i don't work for Gibson, but i am a dealer. i have talked to them, and plenty of companies that sell gold hardware. they really are gold. it's just EXTREMELY thin and plated over nickel. the nickel really is the problem. well, that and the fact that it's so thin. Gold does not tarnish. if they put a thicker layer on, then it would be much harder to tarnish the nickel underneath. of course, this would affect price though and most people aren't willing to pony up the extra cash for it.

they really are gold. it's just EXTREMELY thin and plated over nickel. the nickel really is the problem. well, that and the fact that it's so thin. Gold does not tarnish. if they put a thicker layer on, then it would be much harder to tarnish the nickel underneath.

Interesting ... Thanks for the info.

i don't work for Gibson, but i am a dealer. i have talked to them, and plenty of companies that sell gold hardware. they really are gold. it's just EXTREMELY thin and plated over nickel. the nickel really is the problem. well, that and the fact that it's so thin. Gold does not tarnish. if they put a thicker layer on, then it would be much harder to tarnish the nickel underneath. of course, this would affect price though and most people aren't willing to pony up the extra cash for it.

Exactly why I don't like gold hardware. If it is going to tarnish, it's money wasted. Kind of like a copper alloy ring, thinly plated with gold. If the gold is so thin, it will still turn your finger green, what's the point?

Don't get me wrong Gold hardware on a black or dark cherry guitar is absolutely gorgeous. I just can't pony up the funds to properly gold plate the metallics.'

One thing that came up on the Epiphone board a few years ago was the idea of taking a new guitar with golden hardware, removing said hardware, spray painting with clear lacquer, then re-assembling. This might keep the gold, gold longer. But we weren't sure what the warranty ramifications were.

Archived