Gibson Brands Forums

Playing my J-30 Firebird last night.....

onewilyfool

I am probably more fond of smaller body guitars, easy to play and great for blues......HOWEVER......I was playing my Firebird last night, and was whelmed by the power of the bass and sound that comes from these square shoulder guitars. With my archtop or parlor type guitars, I really have to work them to get the good sounds out. With the Firebird, the guitar just has the sound and volume and I can ease my touch to get great sounds out of it. It's kind of nice to just let the guitar play itself, if you know what I mean....Do any of you guys get that small body/large body guitar experience. I'm not just talking about the bigger the guitar the bigger the bass and volume, it is about the technique you use when playing them. Anyway, maybe I'm not clear but thought I'd share while the feeling was still fresh....lol

Would that be a Reverse Bird (sorry, couldn't help myself).

I have never even heard of a J-30 Firebird so fill me in if you would.

I have one of the first run FIrebirds, with a certificate of authenticity signed by Ren himself. That may be worth MORE than the guitar some day.....Ren did the flames on the pickguard, and all the inlay work.....Here are the specs:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Firebird-Custom/Features.aspx

IMGP0049.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0050.jpg

Archived