Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epiphone Sheraton

jaco17

• 4 weeks later...

i have the same question - im still a tad skeptical because i dont have all the facts -

when did epiphone stop making guitars in korea? i am looking at buying one from a guy off ebay, and the serial number says: U07010338 - which is 2007 Unsung plant, korea. does that sound right?

it has a little sticker on the back saying made in korea too. but i thought the korean guitars were all older. anyway, he said he bought it new last year, so it was possibly sitting on the shelf

for 2 years.

in the pictures it has the pearl inlays and looks almost identical except for the missing 'e' on the pickguard, and one of the knobs is a little close to the f hole.

thoughts? i saw that there werent any fake sheratons, but the Unsung plant serial threw me, didnt know they were making them there still.

- see pic attached..

post-26040-067677400 1286140144_thumb.jpg

that tone knob is very close to the f hole isn't it. how does it compare to other Sheratons?

well it seems that no two 'same make/model' guitars knobs are in the exact same place.. which is odd to me, however -- check out these extra pics

the good thing is that he is local and i can inspect the guitar first. just wanted to get some of you guys' opinions..

ill be honest my main 2 concerns were the tone knob and the Unsung serial, however since the latter is fine then its only a matter of knob placement..

hopefully these pics clear it up!

ps thanks for the quick responses! :)

post-26040-072784100 1286141644_thumb.jpg

post-26040-052665100 1286141656_thumb.jpg

Well OK, there's a fake anything if you don't look care to look at it before purchasing - Gucci loafers, Louis Vuitton handbags, Rolex watches, etc.

Let me say that I've never seen a convincing fake Sherry....and that black one is not a fake....right down to the cheesy pickgaurd and missing E...

Hi! I recently have bought a brand new Epi Sheraton II, the serial number is 10041502852, the sticker says its made in China. I had no troubles with this guitar but, the neck doesn't have this two mahogony (mahogony?)wood stripes at the back. Is this ok? Thanx

Hi! I recently have bought a brand new Epi Sheraton II, the serial number is 10041502852, the sticker says its made in China. I had no troubles with this guitar but, the neck doesn't have this two mahogony (mahogony?)wood stripes at the back. Is this ok? Thanx

Late model China Sheratons don't have the laminated neck.

The serial# tells us....

10=year

04=month

15=factorycode= Gibson owned QuingDao factory, China

02852=production#

HI COULD ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A FAKE SHERATON , OR IF NOT SOME INFO ON I CANT FIND THE SAME HEADSTOCK ANYWHERE ONLINE,IV ACTUALLY EMAILED EPIPHONE AND AM WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM THEM, ITS A LOVELY GUITAR TO PLAY ,SOUNDS GREAT AND FEELS QUALITY TOO ,BUT I DOON KNOW ,IT SOUNDS TO NICE TO BE A FAKE

SERAIL IS : 6075818 (WHICH IS A STICKER ON THE BACK)

PICKGUARD WAS MISSING WHEN I GOT IT , BUT I PREFER THEM WITHOUT THE PICKGUARD

PLEASE HELP

post-26201-037624000 1286739108_thumb.jpeg

post-26201-037010100 1286739124_thumb.jpeg

post-26201-094876600 1286739255_thumb.jpeg

HI COULD ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A FAKE SHERATON , OR IF NOT SOME INFO ON I CANT FIND THE SAME HEADSTOCK ANYWHERE ONLINE,IV ACTUALLY EMAILED EPIPHONE AND AM WAITING FOR A REPLY FROM THEM, ITS A LOVELY GUITAR TO PLAY ,SOUNDS GREAT AND FEELS QUALITY TOO ,BUT I DOON KNOW ,IT SOUNDS TO NICE TO BE A FAKE

SERAIL IS : 6075818 (WHICH IS A STICKER ON THE BACK)

PICKGUARD WAS MISSING WHEN I GOT IT , BUT I PREFER THEM WITHOUT THE PICKGUARD

PLEASE HELP

Really nice, one of the first Sheratons made by Samick in Korea, 1986 judging by the script on the headstock. I've seen a couple with that script, but not many. 1986 was the first year of the Korean Sheratons, by 1977 the script had changed:

epi%20sheraton%20neck.jpg

By 1989, they dropped the by Gibson.

Archived