Gibson Brands Forums

Alright, say something nice about someone here

WahKeen

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joaquin...

Just gotta do this... your sig states: "Your mom goes to College!..."

Some of my favorite memories from childhood were when my mother went back to college for another degree.

I was around 10 through 12. She gave me her uni library card and I had the run of the place. At first I think the librarians were awfully antsy until they saw that each week I'd carefully pull out a half dozen books on archaeology and/or paleontology or frontier history and such stuff to take home and I'd give them Mom's card. After a couple of weeks they got used to it.

Sometimes I could sit through her classes, which I loved, especially history and lit. Kinda funny how Dad gave me some Jas. Fenimore Cooper and Zane Gray frontier stuff from when Vermont and upstate New York were wild territory; then I'd sit quietly in a class on frontier history - then get in trouble for staying out in the woods until way, way late at night learning to ghost along the creek, through the woods and onto the flat ground. Yeah, I'd have trouble sitting for a week after such an excursion.

m

Diego...

With all due respect, never saw that. Don't get much chance to watch TV or movies nowadays between work and pickin' which are priorities.

Sorry. Now I feel a bit dumb. Hmmmm. If it didn't happen prior to 1900, it probably didn't really happen. <chuckle>

Check the Washington, VT, records and with my full name you'd see I was born July 15, 1842. Then check Illinois state records with my full name and you'd see I enlisted in the 112th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in late August, 1862 in Henry County.

<bigger chuckle> Told yah I was old. <chortle>

BTW, and this is no joke... my CW era officer's saber still is in the Jeep.

m

Diego...

With all due respect, never saw that. Don't get much chance to watch TV or movies nowadays between work and pickin' which are priorities.

Sorry. Now I feel a bit dumb. Hmmmm. If it didn't happen prior to 1900, it probably didn't really happen. <chuckle>

Check the Washington, VT, records and with my full name you'd see I was born July 15, 1842. Then check Illinois state records with my full name and you'd see I enlisted in the 112th Illinois Volunteer Infantry in late August, 1862 in Henry County.

<bigger chuckle> Told yah I was old. <chortle>

BTW, and this is no joke... my CW era officer's saber still is in the Jeep.

m

still cool [thumbup]

Joaquin...

Just gotta do this... your sig states: "Your mom goes to College!..."

Some of my favorite memories from childhood were when my mother went back to college for another degree.

I was around 10 through 12. She gave me her uni library card and I had the run of the place. At first I think the librarians were awfully antsy until they saw that each week I'd carefully pull out a half dozen books on archaeology and/or paleontology or frontier history and such stuff to take home and I'd give them Mom's card. After a couple of weeks they got used to it.

Sometimes I could sit through her classes, which I loved, especially history and lit. Kinda funny how Dad gave me some Jas. Fenimore Cooper and Zane Gray frontier stuff from when Vermont and upstate New York were wild territory; then I'd sit quietly in a class on frontier history - then get in trouble for staying out in the woods until way, way late at night learning to ghost along the creek, through the woods and onto the flat ground. Yeah, I'd have trouble sitting for a week after such an excursion.

m

Milod, I'm around kids a lot (no, it's not what you think pervs -not you Milod-... They know who they are lol), and I kid a lot (almost to a fault). However, I'd like to think I'm a helpful person when the time calls for it. It's always nice to read your stories and your experiences. If enough kids were to really listen to wisdom, the world would be a better place. But, I was a knucklehead growing up and I'm glad by God's grace, I'm still here. I actually graduated from college in 4 years back in 1988, which was a surprise to me. My grades weren't that great, but I managed to graduate. If I were to go back, I'd sure take classes more seriously and put more effort into them. I've taken some master's level classes now, and it's so easy to make A's, not because I'm so smart, but because I care now. I'm an adult and having been in the workforce for many a year, it's a responsibility that you've acquired. I'm so glad I'm not young and single.... Whew!! :)

I was too stupid to finish college.

Got seduced away from school by the boss at my "part time" writing job to work full time writing, editing and taking pix for a daily newspaper at age 20. Not the brightest decision but it surely fed my ego at the time.

On the other hand, ain't quit reading and learning yet. <grin> When I do, I hope I get planted.

Both my parents, btw, had multiple degrees. Sheesh. <grin>

m

Californiaman is mutually admired by many forum members.

Shredastair is very well mannered for a metal guy.

Grampa has his stuff together.

Artillery Owl never looses his cool.

Tommyk can get his opinion heard without talking down to anyone.

Stevejoshlay's keeps Gary Moore in the press and is probably resposible for over half of his record sales. Gary's gotta like that.

Milod's such a good writer that sometimes I read how he wrote instead of what he wrote.

XdemonknightX is just Cool.

Mojoredfoot has great taste in guitars and pickups.

Cookieman is always a good conversation.

Big Bill knows what to say at the right time.

swleary is another cool character.

Neoconman is very consistent.

Oh im not in the list i see how it is. :mellow:

I was too stupid to finish college.

Got seduced away from school by the boss at my "part time" writing job to work full time writing, editing and taking pix for a daily newspaper at age 20. Not the brightest decision but it surely fed my ego at the time.

On the other hand, ain't quit reading and learning yet. <grin> When I do, I hope I get planted.

Both my parents, btw, had multiple degrees. Sheesh. <grin>

m

College doesn't teach you much (undergrad). If people had 1/2 of your sense, Milod, the world would be a much nicer place.... :)

All kidding aside...

99 percent of the time the regulars on here seem to be darned nice folks. I almost feel that mentioning names of individuals is bound to leave somebody out who shouldn't be left out.

The other one percent of the time it's usually somebody complaining about something that doesn't bother most folks but does bother others.

Frankly I'd personally rather see "debate" over politics than some really crass language that should be kept among friends around a campfire. I think we'd have more lady pickers of all ages on here if the language didn't get so crass at times.

I may be gray haired, but I rather enjoy the company of lady pickers. What the heck, I enjoy the company of women in general. I do wonder what the parents of a teenage girl might think at some of the language and ... conversation ... here at times that seems to get by.

But then... I guess I'm more used to the "debates" sort of thing than some folks, given I've been involved in such stuff as a "student" for a long, long time. As for "words" and "language," it's not as if I'm unaware of their usage. But I remember my first month in college when there was a water fight among residence halls. I'd already lived away from home a couple years and took a turn with the seniors on a PA discussing the failings and parentage of those in other residence halls. A few parents of children and younger teens called the college to complain the next day. Even such terms and concepts used rather creatively probably are best kept for close friends in a saloon or around a campfire.

Otherwise someone's mother might come out from under the back porch and bite them. (That's a line I stole, btw, from a Canadian Anglican bishop friend.)

m

See, I got ya back on Page 4.

I haven't gotten to Dem00n 'cause I couldn't think of anything Appropriately Funny.

I didn't really mean it, Firstm. I wouldn't get upset by that. My humor boggles me at times lol. I did give you kudos on your playing (I checked out your "my band" link a while back) as being right on!!! And I'll say it again, 'you're playing is RIGHT ON, BRO!!!!!!!!!!' [thumbup]

Archived