Gibson Brands Forums

USB Audio Interface

EVOL!

I am the proud owner of a new Mac Book Pro. The bad news? It only has one analog jack so recording and listening to the playback at the same time is right out. I need a USB audio interface so I can use the analog jack for headphones. Anyone use a USB interface they can recommend? I don't need a fancy one with a preamp or phantom power. My mixer or tube preamp will take care of that.

You cat's on a mission to get me in trouble with my wife? My wish list is getting weighty. [wink]

Both of those Apogee items look like just what I need and I won't compromise my love of analog. I'll read some reviews. Thanks.

You cat's on a mission to get me in trouble with my wife? My wish list is getting weighty. [wink]

Both of those Apogee items look like just what I need and I won't compromise my love of analog. I'll read some reviews. Thanks.

Hey, gotta start somewhere, start with the best [thumbup]

If I had the cash, I would definitely go with the Apogee One.

I went cheapie. Edirol jobbie - I remember a bit under $80. I could run a cd/tape player into it and thence into the USB port. On guitar/mike I use the line out from my little acoustic amp. Ain't bad at all, but it's not a "pro" setup.

m

I am against that type of recording because your depending on the CPU to do almost everything and record. I love the Line6 Pod XTLive and X3Live's great ability to not only record guitars and bass; but with the X3 Live vocals have been added with the mic preamps.

The MacBook can handle it... why not use that?

He wants analog-ness, and my microphone can record anything! The neighbors fighting, my cats running around, even guitar, bass, drums, vocals, EVERYTHING!

It has every thing to do with duty cycles of the cpu, and latency...

how it the latency from the POD X3 live? i've used a "regular" POD X3 as a recording interface, also with Logic, and found similar latency compared to the Apogee.

Granted my Macbook Pro is a 2.8GHz i5, so it is a pretty powerful machine, but i do agree that using the amp models in Logic in realtime (as well as piling on the effects) is challenging for any processor. Further, the models in the POD X3 are very nice and there is no processing latency as they are generated by the POD. the tradeoff is that you are then "printing" your effects/models, and tweaking later on is more challenging.

the Apogee ONE, with it's USB interface, BUS power, and built in condenser mic is very flexible and works well for "quick" sessions and idea snagging. [wink]

things to consider.

Don

I am against that type of recording because your depending on the CPU to do almost everything and record. I love the Line6 Pod XTLive and X3Live's great ability to not only record guitars and bass; but with the X3 Live vocals have been added with the mic preamps.

I have tried, but I cannot get into amp modeling. I need to be there with the amp cranked; feeling the sound waves; experiencing the overtones; generating feedback. If that works for you, great. I do use my POD to capture song ideas on Garage Band. Just never for something serious like a rehearsal space demo.

My dream is an open reel tape machine. A man can dream, can't he?

I have tried, but I cannot get into amp modeling. I need to be there with the amp cranked; feeling the sound waves; experiencing the overtones; generating feedback. If that works for you, great. I do use my POD to capture song ideas on Garage Band. Just never for something serious like a rehearsal space demo.

My dream is an open reel tape machine. A man can dream, can't he?

They have a reel tape machine in my music recording class, I inquired about it, and my teacher just said "Why the hell would you want to do that? Just use digital moron, its easier..."

I was pissed

They have a reel tape machine in my music recording class, I inquired about it, and my teacher just said "Why the hell would you want to do that? Just use digital moron, its easier..."

I was pissed

the longer i hang out here, the more you impress me. [biggrin]

when i was in a recording class way back when, we used to do "edits" with razor blades and scotch tape. i think some of the art is lost in the digital age.

good one man!

Don

the longer i hang out here, the more you impress me. [biggrin]

when i was in a recording class way back when, we used to do "edits" with razor blades and scotch tape. i think some of the art is lost in the digital age.

good one man!

Don

See, I don't like all of the edited stuff. My favorite stuff was recorded on analog. He's kind of a weird guy, he just loves all the easy ways, but I want to fight with it, and get frustrated. Call me a fan boy, but like Jack White, I don't believe that just because it is easier, it makes it better.

I'm gonna record on that damn reel tape machine, no matter what he says. He's teaching that what you should do is record direct into the digital mixer, then run that sound through an amp. No offense, but fxck that! If I ain't playing it, it's not getting my name on it [thumbdn]

See, I don't like all of the edited stuff. My favorite stuff was recorded on analog. He's kind of a weird guy, he just loves all the easy ways, but I want to fight with it, and get frustrated. Call me a fan boy, but like Jack White, I don't believe that just because it is easier, it makes it better.

While i don't always agree with his politics, I like what John Mellencamp just did with his latest album, "No Better Than This":

"Mellencamp recorded No Better Than This at historic locations, such as the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia as well as at the historic Sun Studios in Memphis and the Sheraton Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, where blues pioneer Robert Johnson recorded blues staples like “Sweet Home Chicago” and “Cross Road Blues. Mellencamp recorded the album using a 1955 Ampex portable recording machine and only one microphone, requiring all the musicians to gather together around the mic. The album was recorded in mono, the same manner as the classic folk and blues recordings of the 1930s and '40s."

over-production is quite common in this day and age. its refreshing to see some people break it back down, re-humanize it so to speak. this can be done digitally to be sure, but there is a certain warmth in old analog stuff.

my 2c. sorry for the hijack here!

D

While i don't always agree with his politics, I like what John Mellencamp just did with his latest album, "No Better Than This":

"Mellencamp recorded No Better Than This at historic locations, such as the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, Georgia as well as at the historic Sun Studios in Memphis and the Sheraton Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, where blues pioneer Robert Johnson recorded blues staples like “Sweet Home Chicago” and “Cross Road Blues. Mellencamp recorded the album using a 1955 Ampex portable recording machine and only one microphone, requiring all the musicians to gather together around the mic. The album was recorded in mono, the same manner as the classic folk and blues recordings of the 1930s and '40s."

over-production is quite common in this day and age. its refreshing to see some people break it back down, re-humanize it so to speak. this can be done digitally to be sure, but there is a certain warmth in old analog stuff.

my 2c. sorry for the hijack here!

D

I think that would be the coolest, travel to different spots and record all around the place. I mean with all of the pitch correction and all that, it gets ridiculous, you hear these people live, and its completely different.

The album was recorded in mono, the same manner as the classic folk and blues recordings of the 1930s and '40s."

Can I just say that mono is highly underrated. Mono drum mixes are so powerful. They hit you right up the middle with power and force.

Can I just say that mono is highly underrated. Mono drum mixes are so powerful. They hit you right up the middle with power and force.

I've been working on mixing stuff, and I like to separate guitar parts from other guitars or bass left and right, but I like drums straight up the middle. Same with vocals.

I've been working on mixing stuff, and I like to separate guitar parts from other guitars or bass left and right, but I like drums straight up the middle. Same with vocals.

I am over stereo panning toms.

Archived