Gibson Brands Forums

SWD strings

g-sport

'The strings mounted at the Montana facility are Gibson Masterbilt Premium Phosphor Bronze wound of the Light gauge: .012 .016 .024w .032w .042w .053w'.

This is what I got from the European Gibson Service people earlier this year when I asking them for the set on my J-45.

Have a good SuNday

I had the same question for my SWD, and rceived exactly the same reply from Gibson Europe.

BUT, Im almost 100% certain these stock strings were a) different brand and were mids not lights

When i bought my SWD the strings really felt like mids, but played quite smoothly and bent quite easily, which is why i asked the question. When i took off the original set and put on a new set of Gibson Masterbuil PB lights it clearly were different strings to the ones i had on. The colour was different (not due to wear) and they felt different.

So, in my opinion the stock strings were something different and i would love to know what they were as i would like to try them again.

I've been using Martin Phosphor Bronze & 80/20s on my SWD. I've been using 10s, but after having a proper set-up, I'm going to put 11s on next string-change. The Martins, for me, sound better and last longer than any other strings I've tried.

... When i took off the original set and put on a new set of Gibson Masterbuil PB lights it clearly were different strings to the ones i had on. The colour was different (not due to wear) and they felt different. So, in my opinion the stock strings were something different ...

First, are you sure the strings weren't changed before you got the guitar? Many dealers change the strings when guitars arrive, either to longer-lasting (typically, coated) strings or to some brand of strings they happen to prefer.

Second, how fresh were the Gibson PB lights you put on? There are at least three different versions of the Gibson Masterbuilt light gauge PBs floating around: Gibson-manufactured sets with a .052 low E, Gibson-manufactured sets with a .053 low E, and D'Addario-manufactured sets with a .053 low E. I'm not sure whether the specs of the latter two are the same -- in particular, whether the same wires are used -- or not. If not, that could conceivably explain the difference you report.

Gibson in Bozeman has occasionally been forced to use other strings when they could not obtain Gibson-brand strings in bulk. I don't know whether this has occurred in the recent past, and would be a little surprised to learn that it had, but it is a possibility. If you call Bozeman -- not Nashville! -- someone might be able and willing to tell you off-the-record whether your SWD shipped with non-Gibson-brand strings.

-- Bob R

Archived