Gibson Brands Forums

blues rock

Tim Semeryuk

This seriously depends on your present skill level. That said, it helps to learn Blues first, since that's where Blues Rock comes from. Just get yourself some old Blues Recordings (like Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters and Elmore James), then get yourself some old Blues Rock Recordings (like Johnny Winter, Some Hendrix, and Maybe some Cream....some may say these are not Blues Rockers, but I think they are), then just noodle around in with Pentatonic Scales and Barre Chords till you find familiar sounding stuff.

Good luck and Good Hunting!

My advice (because, as far as music styles go, it's kind of my specialty):

The best blues-rock (IMO) is primarily blues, with a rock "feel"--i.e. a backbeat (an emphasis on the off-beats of the measure.) To my experience, the closest relative to blues-rock (at least blues-rock as I know it) is the Chicago blues. It necessitates the use of guitar and bass amplification, it features a prominent rhythm section (as opposed to the lead/rhythm solo blues style that developed in the Mississippi delta,) and is essentially at its most interesting when performed in a full band. Ergo, you can play blues-rock, but since it's essentially an ensemble style, the fundamentals of blues-rock guitar playing begin with the blues--doesn't matter what region it's from. Work in the pentatonic scale and develop an understanding of the standard blues forms (i.e. twelve-bar, eight-bar, sixteen-bar, etc.,) and be able to adapt these to more of a rock context.

Remember that the notion of genre is very nebulous and subjective, so what you may think of as one thing will strike someone else as another. Essentially, what it comes down to (if I may give you a very generic run-down of blues-rock guitar) is playing blues-styled music on an electric guitar, primarily with an overdriven or distorted tonal quality. The songs themselves typically feature riffs in the pentatonic scale, which outline the chord progression of the song. Guitar solos are long and improvised (or semi-improvised) and are notable in that they follow the character of the song more than they necessarily follow the melody--i.e. a very "tough" or "mean" song will likewise tend to have a solo that sounds "tough" or "mean," a very "sweet" song will generally have a solo that's more on the "sweet" side. You can afford to be weird and experimental with form, lyrical content, and so on. Get a good tube amp, one that will distort nicely when you drive it harder, although for our purposes it's usually best to have it be medium-gain and not exactly high-gain. Know the standards and play them. Also (and I know I will piss off some people by saying this, because apparently a few people consider decent soloing ability as a bad thing) focus on developing your lead chops--rhythm guitar is important, but frankly blues-rock without lead guitar is like pizza without cheese.

Some artists to listen to (although I don't recommend imitating them--just learning from them):

-Free

-John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers

-Savoy Brown

-Foghat

-Led Zeppelin

-Blue Cheer

-ZZ Top

-EARLY Fleetwood Mac (the Peter Green era)

-Cactus

-The Allman Brothers Band

-Elmore James

-Freddie King

-Jimmy Reed

-Howlin' Wolf

-Muddy Waters

-Johnny Winter

-Willie Dixon

-Son House

-Robert Johnson (which is, frankly, an extremely predictable suggestion, which is why he's in the middle of the list)

-Albert King

-The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

-Canned Heat

-Hot Tuna

-Bo Diddley

-Chuck Berry (IMO the first to really handle "blues-rock," with stuff like "Roll Over, Beethoven" etc.)

-Rory Gallagher

-Ten Years After

-Robin Trower

-Jimi Hendrix

-The Doors

-Little Milton

-Buddy Guy

-Otis Rush

-T-Bone Walker

Yep, that's more than enough. In my opinion, the best blues catalog out there is the Chess Records catalog. Chances are that if they were on the Chess label, they were pretty cool.

The best blues-rock (IMO) is primarily blues, with a rock "feel"--i.e. a backbeat (an emphasis on the off-beats of the measure.) To my experience, the closest relative to blues-rock (at least blues-rock as I know it) is the Chicago blues. It necessitates the use of guitar and bass amplification, it features a prominent rhythm section (as opposed to the lead/rhythm solo blues style that developed in the Mississippi delta,) and is essentially at its most interesting when performed in a full band. Ergo, you can play blues-rock, but since it's essentially an ensemble style, the fundamentals of blues-rock guitar playing begin with the blues--doesn't matter what region it's from. Work in the pentatonic scale and develop an understanding of the standard blues forms (i.e. twelve-bar, eight-bar, sixteen-bar, etc.,) and be able to adapt these to more of a rock context.

Remember that the notion of genre is very nebulous and subjective, so what you may think of as one thing will strike someone else as another. Essentially, what it comes down to (if I may give you a very generic run-down of blues-rock guitar) is playing blues-styled music on an electric guitar, primarily with an overdriven or distorted tonal quality. The songs themselves typically feature riffs in the pentatonic scale, which outline the chord progression of the song. Guitar solos are long and improvised (or semi-improvised) and are notable in that they follow the character of the song more than they necessarily follow the melody--i.e. a very "tough" or "mean" song will likewise tend to have a solo that sounds "tough" or "mean," a very "sweet" song will generally have a solo that's more on the "sweet" side. You can afford to be weird and experimental with form, lyrical content, and so on. Get a good tube amp, one that will distort nicely when you drive it harder, although for our purposes it's usually best to have it be medium-gain and not exactly high-gain. Know the standards and play them. Also (and I know I will piss off some people by saying this, because apparently a few people consider decent soloing ability as a bad thing) focus on developing your lead chops--rhythm guitar is important, but frankly blues-rock without lead guitar is like pizza without cheese.

Some artists to listen to (although I don't recommend imitating them--just learning from them):

-Free

-Savoy Brown

-Foghat

-Led Zeppelin

-Blue Cheer

-ZZ Top

-Cactus

-Elmore James

-Freddie King

-Jimmy Reed

-Howlin' Wolf

-Muddy Waters

-Johnny Winter

-Willie Dixon

-Son House

-Robert Johnson (which is, frankly, an extremely predictable suggestion, which is why he's in the middle of the list)

-Albert King

-Canned Heat

-Hot Tuna

-Bo Diddley

-Chuck Berry (IMO the first to really handle "blues-rock," with stuff like "Roll Over, Beethoven" etc.)

-Rory Gallagher

-Ten Years After

-Robin Trower

-Jimi Hendrix

-The Doors

-Little Milton

-Buddy Guy

-Otis Rush

-T-Bone Walker

Yep, that's more than enough. In my opinion, the best blues catalog out there is the Chess Records catalog. Chances are that if they were on the Chess label, they were pretty cool.

is a marshall tube a good amp for bluse

is a marshall tube a good amp for bluse

In my opinion, a Marshall tube amp is great for blues-rock. As far as blues, in a more general and traditional sense, I think it's very good (you might not want to push it as hard if you're doing a more traditional electric blues act), but I'm sure some would disagree strongly with me. The earliest Marshalls were practically designed for blues-rock, though.

I'm of the opinion that you can do no better for blues guitar than a tweed Fender Bassman-style circuit--i.e. the early Marshall amps (the JTM45 and so on)--and the closer to that, the better. For me, this applies to both overdrive and clean tones. I'm probably in a minority, but I tend to think that "sparkly" cleans (as from the likes of a Vox or a blackface or silverface Fender amp) are hugely overrated, and I happen to prefer cleans that are warmer, thicker, rounder and more organic, and not quite so thin, jangly and cheesy. As far as distorted sounds go, I really think there's nothing sweeter than a tweed Fender tube amp pushed to its limits. Really, though, use what you like, but keep in mind that generally a blues-rock style will call for an overdriven signal. The reissues are fine--although some cork-sniffers will demonize them and avoid them like the plague.

Frankly, I think you ought to use the amp that you like, and set it for what your needs are. I can only tell you my opinions--and these are opinions which, I think, some will disagree with.

-Free

-Savoy Brown

-Foghat

-Led Zeppelin

-Blue Cheer

-ZZ Top

-Cactus

-Elmore James

-Freddie King

-Jimmy Reed

-Howlin' Wolf

-Muddy Waters

-Johnny Winter

-Willie Dixon

-Son House

-Albert King

-Canned Heat

-Hot Tuna

-Bo Diddley

-Rory Gallagher

-Ten Years After

-Robin Trower

-Jimi Hendrix

-The Doors

-Little Milton

-Buddy Guy

-Otis Rush

-T-Bone Walker

Interesting take on Chicago Blues, I always felt Blues Rock came from Texas with it's harder edged tones and up beat shuffles. When I think of Chicago Blues evolution I think R&B. But you brought out some interesting points, like the driving rhythm and electric bass. They have more intricate arrangements, like rock does, too.

Archived