Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis Factory

BlackRider

With the exception of the Historics' date=' or reissues, or whatever they are calling them this week. They are built in the Nashville Custom Shop.[/quote']

That's what you thought, wasn't it? But no... they've moved all the plywood to Memphis including the Custom Shop ES guitars. Take a look here: http://www.gibson.com/_microsite/electricspanish/customMemphis.html

Nasville is now only production solids... LPs and SGs.

I don't believe that's correct. The one-of's done for artists are still made in Nashville. I played one that a sideman to a well known sideman just got in April, and he had been working with the Nashville people to have her made. The Memphis factory is considered part of the Custom Shop operations as far as the corporate umbrella is concerned, but historic 335's are still made in Nashville. All to be distinguished from the big factory that they call "Gibson USA."

Where on that link does it say Nasville is now only production solids... LPs and SGs?

Well, solids is what left if all the semis hollowbody electrics are made in Memphis.

It's NOT correct that some ES-guitars are still made in Nashville.

Which commemorative models are still in Nashville?

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary_0199-166027_ITM

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5264/is_200403/ai_n20418989

Almost all of the ES guitars are now built in Memphis CS' date=' however there are a few [i']select [/i]models (such as certain "Commemorative Models") that are built in Nashville CS.

I'll skip all the websearching and take a wild *** guess here.

The Custom Shop in Nashville will build whatever the hell they want, illustrating the flexibility of a "custom" shop.

I can confirm this from first hand testimony.

The owner of my favorite dealer in Phoenix was there a couple months ago, told me of some of the hollow beauties...

To say NO plywood or hollow guitars come out of there would be incorrect.

The vast majority (production as the norm) would be still be from Memphis.

Call Gibson at 800-444-2766 and ask 'em!

I'm on the phone with Gibson Customer Service as I type this.

I'll clarify when I get some answers.

The owner of my favorite guitar shop was just there a couple months ago, saw some REAL beauties in the Custom Shop.

Not all of them were solid.

Almost all of the ES guitars are now built in Memphis CS' date=' however there are a few [i']select [/i]models .... that are built in Nashville CS.

Just got off the phone with Benton at Gibson.

There are two separate Custom Shops.

Memphis does laminate guitars (all the ES series) and their Custom Shop does the same.

Additionally, the EDS-1275 is made in that Custom Shop as well. I knew mine was built there.

Nashville is the big daddy Custom Shop.

Most all the solid bodies are done there (Les Pauls) in addition to the big dollar hollow bodies and jazz boxes.

Andy Aledort, who tours with Dickey Betts, just got a 1961 ES-335 custom ordered from the Custom Shop, it came out of Nashville where they made the Clapton Crossroads ES335's. Production ES guitars, however, are made in the Memphis factory. My ED-339 has a "Gibson Custom" decal on the back of the headstock - I almost feel guilty about it.

Archived