Gibson Brands Forums

Great Non Guitar Solos

jaxson50

Jaco..and Weather Report...

Always one of my favorites..

RIP Jaco..

PS..

I was looking for Sugie Otis track when you posted on the other thread..

Birdland is the best music ever used for NFL highlights....what a great group...good luck trying to find old video of Shugie Otis...His first two albums were great..some of the best Blues ever put on tracks. I have both...

A few nights ago I was listening to every Jaco track..you tube etc I could find..

Spent many sessions..many years hoping to get a B-man that moved me to counter off his working.. A very..very..inspirational vibe for me..

Joco changed the way we look at the bass..he was revolutionary. We can only imagine what he would be doing today, in a perfect world we would have a band with Jimi on guitar Joco on bass.

Yea, for a bass solo, it's hard to beat Victor Wooton. That dude is amazing.

Oyez, way amazing solos !

A very inneressin blend of

percussion & harmony but

those are not bass solos.

That is to say, Wooten is

almost never "in the bass

chair". Not to say he isn't

200% capable were he to

choose to play bass, but

he chooses not to be the

bassist.

Altho I have no first hand

experience of this musical

fact[?], IIRC, Mr. Wooten

himself tends to agree, as

evidenced by the times he

employs a bassist to play

bass whilst he plays his

Wooten the Wizard role.

`

I saw Eddie more times then I can remember, he is another over looked master; Watched him do a solo gig one night, just him his keyboards, a synth, and his custom electric mouth piece split into a stero signal one side natural the other thru the sythn...the guy was a genius. This is what he did with a loop.

Great non-guitar solos?

Where do you not start?

Like docc says, it's time for a jazz thread.

John Coltrane has already been mentioned

Louis Armstrong - who introduced the idea of improvised soloing

Charlie Parker - who, with Dizzy Gillespie, helped us understand how to use all twelve notes of the scale

Art Tatum, Bill Evans, Thelonius Monk, Wynton Kelly....

Lester Young, Stan Getz, Wayne Shorter, Jan Garbarek, Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon....

Freddie Hubbard, Miles Davis, Clifford Young, Chet Baker.....

Ron Carter, Ray Brown.....

All their stuff still sounds great. It's good for guitarists to listen to horn players.

And today, you have people like Bela Fleck.

RN

How 'bout some Stanley Clarke..

Oh, yes!

Stanley Clarke changed how I thought about and listened to Jazz, while I was in college. because of him, I started to listen to Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Hubert Laws, Ronnie Laws, Donald Cherry... Basically the whole CTI catalog, starting with Bob James.

I can't play jazz, but my old friend (RIP) Jack Fragomeni could, and we used to have a lot of discussions about the non-guitar jazz greats - and I can thank Stanley for getting me started on them.

I remember doing a piano audition in my youth. I asked my teacher what tune should I play. He said "pick a Jaco solo, play it with your right hand and fill in with your left." After I did that I really got the sense how melodic Jaco could be. I true genius...

Archived