Gibson Brands Forums

Customized EVJ

Hooligan

I saw a fellow who ripped apart a Champ Junior and re-built it using really nice maple. He basically made a new cab with high quality wood. It was really beautiful. I was wondering if any of you have seen an EVJ done like that. I was thinking that an amp in flamed maple to match my guitar would be awesome. The wood working would be no problem.

It's a cabinet...if you can build something nice go for it! Sell the stocker on Ebay and you can recover some funds. (Shocking how much too I might add). Change the dimensions if you want; just use the original as a guide and go from there. Recovers are easy, and still few people attempt them. Not a thing wrong with wanting to personalize your equipment, and if you can do it better than most, you might even do a few on the side for some extra gear money. Most everyone here will demand pics so you've been warned. (I'm really lacking in that reguard myself I must confess). I think some nice enclosures for VJ heads and cabs is a great idea, (for any rig really).

I've recovered several over the years, including a Vox DA-5, just to hear the "Wow where did you find this comments". It's your amp, improve it at will....

Wedgie

Some things loose their value when trade-in time comes...

such as modified or altered equipment.

You may think it's CoooL but others may not...

therefore a loss in value...

Most people want Original equipment, not butchered equipment.

CHEEKS

We're talking about 130.0 epiphone valve juniors.

There's NO desire need or decrease in depreciation involved with low end gear being modified.

As a matter of fact people pay more for well done modified gear because it improves the sound or look.

If you were talking about a 54 tele with non stock pups or a paint job or whatnot, you'd have a point.

but a Vj stock isn't going to be worth more in the future because you left it stock.

Most people keep their vjs because they know what to expect from it..they know it's inexpensive, what it will do

and how it will be used.. primarily a bedroom or otherwise home use.. so changing the box will only increase

the personal enjoyment.. and if done right, get him a little of that 'used' depreciation back should he choose to sell it.

If you buy a guitar or amp and improve it. you wont then resell it for more against the price of new, usually,

but you will offset the deprecation.

You wouldn't stick a 400 cubic inch engine in your volkswagon bug then sell it for the price of a 4 cylinder.

to the point in question..

I've seen some very nice cabinets made of excellent wood with nice appointments..

some go for different tolex only, some remake the cab and add new tolex.. some use wood and go for a

really nice pro finish and look.

it's a fairly simple cab and if you do it well it will look fantastic!

I'm with Twang. You're not going to get more than $100 for a used Vjr whether it's been modded or not.

Not all modifications are "butchered," either, btw. If done correctly, the right mods can turn a ho-hum amp or guitar into something truly spectacular. It may not be worth a penny more than it was in stock form, and may in fact be worth a bit less, but if it performs and sounds leagues better, it's totally worth the effort and cost, imo.

Not sure what a "Champ Jr." is, but I have seen a re-housing of a silverface vibro champ that was WAY cool. Somebody made it into a head an 2x8" cabinet, complete with kickback legs, ala blackface piggyback Fenders. Really cool looking.

I'm not thinking about re-sale, so I'm not sure where came in from. I am fully aware what a EVJ amp is worth. I was hoping some had some experience in re-building thier cabinet. My step Dad is retired and he does alot of woodworking for extra spending cash. All I would need to do is send him the materials. Who knows he might like to do others.

Strange that Cheeks is worried about the originality and the preservation of Valve Juniors for future generations and yet is giddy over the prospect of spray painting them. I for one have seen modded VJ's bring More than MSRP on Ebay; not just close to retail. I got my VERY FIRST VJ for Christmas some years ago, a gift from my Mom. Without reguard of warranty or sentiment, it was torn apart and cabinet stripped before the eggnog was poured that night. Accquired with the intent of total renovation before a note was ever emitted. Modding can be addictive but is rarely destructive...anybody can buy an amp but it takes a tone monger to rod one up!

Wedgie

I'll see if I can find a pic for ya of a guy who just rebuilt an epi head

he retolexed it and painted the panels.. the whole bit.

I built the amp for him and then he rebuilt the cabinet.

ah here it is. this is NOT an epi cab. he made one from scratch.

TERRYSAMP2.jpg

TERRYSAMP1.jpg

I just redo the cabinets and control panels in my builds.

amps001-4.jpg

amps002-2.jpg

EL34002-4.jpg

Archived