Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute Roll Call

truetone6

Very nice,that would be three Canadian Gold Top's

Do you find much difference between the 50's and 60's (eg neck)

I don't think the 60's is a limited run but I could be wrong

quote name='whirligig' timestamp='1310527417' post='963606']

I heard rumoured there were only 5 of the 50 gold top tributes and only about 7 of the 60 gold top tributes (there are probably more)

that came through Y/S for Canada mine was the first 50 gold top ordered and I was lucky enough to get one of the 60 tributes also. DSCF0790.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice,that would be three Canadian Gold Top's

Do you find much difference between the 50's and 60's (eg neck)

I don't think the 60's is a limited run but I could be wrong

Gibson shows the 60 tribute as a limited run on the website. I think Gibson did a great job on both 50 & 60 tributes I'm very happy with them !

The neck on the 60s is a slimmer tapper & sound wise the 50s has a little more bite to it with the orange caps.

If I had to make a choice between the two I'd have to pick the 60s and that would be simply because of my playing style and

personal preference of the neck profile. But either way both are nice !

Bigdaddydave here again guy's. I picked up my Goldtop last Saturday from Guitar Village. Production date is April 20 (2011). One day after yours Blazer! It has a similar three piece body as well. It really sings & sounds great unplugged. Something about it I just can't put it down. Wasn't very well set up, the necks a bit flat but that's an easy fix! Otherwise its 'lovely'! Blazer you waited ages for yours, you must have the paitience of a saint mate. (It's a London expression. ) Nice little gig bag as well, different for the UK. I'm not sure how to post photo's of it for you guys cost there doesn't seem to be an attachment option I can see. Any help on this would be appreciated. Regards to all from me in UK

That's not the half of it.I started inquiring to L&M about putting a order in around Aug 2010,finally on Feb 1.2011 I was notified one was available to order which I did and recieved it in May.

I agree the body seem's to come alive with vibration alot more than my SG.

When you reply under the script box you'll see attacments,select browse and select where your pic's are then click attatch file

Bigdaddydave here again guy's. I picked up my Goldtop last Saturday from Guitar Village. Production date is April 20 (2011). One day after yours Blazer! It has a similar three piece body as well. It really sings & sounds great unplugged. Something about it I just can't put it down. Wasn't very well set up, the necks a bit flat but that's an easy fix! Otherwise its 'lovely'! Blazer you waited ages for yours, you must have the paitience of a saint mate. (It's a London expression. ) Nice little gig bag as well, different for the UK. I'm not sure how to post photo's of it for you guys cost there doesn't seem to be an attachment option I can see. Any help on this would be appreciated. Regards to all from me in UK

post-4379-032783500 1327293901_thumb.jpg

post-4379-065108900 1327293932_thumb.jpg

post-4379-071953400 1327293949_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help blazer. Trying to send one picture of goldtop's back. Had tried everything & all I get is ' this file was too large to upload'. Can't waste anymore time on this. I'd rather spend time playing the thing. Addios Comrades I must be thick or this attachment s**t sucks.

Thanks for your help blazer. Trying to send one picture of goldtop's back. Had tried everything & all I get is ' this file was too large to upload'. Can't waste anymore time on this. I'd rather spend time playing the thing. Addios Comrades I must be thick or this attachment s**t sucks.

That's the trouble with uploading on most Forums, there is a size limit (file size, not dimension of the pic but hi-res is too much info, bits and bytes and all that). That's why so many of us just set up a free account with an outside photo host (photobucket, image shack, etc) and insert the pic that way. Much easier. But if you want to upload, you'll have to make the file less dense with a photo editing program (Photo Shop is great, but not free- PhotoRazor is a free one I use that's pretty easy). Just check what the site's maximum file upload size is (just found it, it's 500K), and keep it under that.

Thank's for taking your time to explain this to me T-Bone, l was getting really frustrated not being able to post pictures of the new guitar after having it for over two weeks. But when all's said and done it just looks the same as everybody else's Goldtop photo's , but it would make me feel more at ease to show mine off. Some have done this on the bonnet (hood for USA I think) of their exquisite German automobile, others laid theirs across a beautiful Person rug and a few in front of a hand made valve powered combo in hardwood cabinet.

I can't even get a shot of my dear old mum pretending to play 'stairway to heaven'. Never mind, we can all

Celebrate the day I get it sorted out, and averyone sees that I really am able to lay my hands on a Gibson USA

goldtop guitar. T-Bone you have a lovely collection of guitars my friend, I see you have two 50's tribute goldtops, I think they are a really good investment as they play & sound up there with the top quality USA Guitars

(Fender,PRS,) and I see you have a Martin acoustic , I'm sure that 'sings' and is inspiring to play.

I had a nice collection of guitars once, but unfortunately after a traumatic divorce I was so down on

my Heels I had to let most of them go, which was a real loss cost I believe you can't replace most guitars.

When I pick one up, no matter how much they cost, they either feel 'special ' or they just feel like another

guitar, and its usually best to keep that guitar, no matter what!.I had two Les Paul's. One a 60's Classic plus

and a 1990 Ebony standard which I got for £200 secondhand out of a local newspaper. Whether it was the neck being a bit fatter but that was my favourite of the two, even though the classic had a beautiful top, I was a bit faster on the ebony. The luckiest buy I had was a Fender telephone thinline I got from a little music shop

In the suburbs for £275. It was natural wood body, maple neck & turned out to be 1971. I never found out the real value till after I'd sold it. Enough reminiscing, I'm interested in acoustic's, since about two years now I've

really been getting back into playing & learning more how to get the most out of them. I got a Martin Dx1r ( before they put a pickup in them unfortunately. But I really like it and its got me improving and has inspired me. I'd. Like to get the Martin GPC PA3 performing artist. I've tried a few others including a Lowden, but the gpc pa3 came out on top for me. Well I've rambled on a bit too much I guess, but thanks for your help T-bone!

• 6 months later...

My story is a lucky one and I do own a gold top Gibson les Paul studio 50s limited edition tribute guitar.

I called up a guitar shop "Romford" few miles away from me and asked them about a Gibson les Paul studio I had seen online and saw that they were selling fast! So I call up and the guy says, "we only have one left". I virtually begged him to keep it behind the counter for me for the day after. My girlfriend asks me what guitar I want and she says "come on let's go get it" so we go an she buys the guitar for me as a personal gift and she knew it would make me forever happy and even named it after her. In all my seven years of playing I never had a Gibson and now i really feel I can ROCK!

How many in total were made in this limited edition run? That's my question.

Serial:132011545

245th one made in production

Made in Nashville tennessee.

Goldtop

My story is a lucky one and I do own a gold top Gibson les Paul studio 50s limited edition tribute guitar.

I called up a guitar shop "Romford" few miles away from me and asked them about a Gibson les Paul studio I had seen online and saw that they were selling fast! So I call up and the guy says, "we only have one left". I virtually begged him to keep it behind the counter for me for the day after. My girlfriend asks me what guitar I want and she says "come on let's go get it" so we go an she buys the guitar for me as a personal gift and she knew it would make me forever happy and even named it after her. In all my seven years of playing I never had a Gibson and now i really feel I can ROCK!

Goldtop

P90s or humbuckers?

Was that recently?Wow talking about being in the right place.My understanding is 160 worldwide Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute Gold Tops.I'm in Canada and believe 5 were shipped here.Something about these guitars but the vintage tone you get blows any of the other guitars I had out of the water.I have a Gibson ES 137 Flamed with Bigsby in itself a amazing guitar but the tone of the Tribute makes me grap it every time.I actually had a Fender Hot Rod Devile 4X10 and hated the tone of the Tribute in it now I'm back to a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 2x12 and love the tone Wierd

It is a very nice sounding guitar and has been built to perfection an the action is extremely low and helps for those fast fluent blues licks and bends etc.

I brought the guitar not for old blues style playing but modern melodic shred lead with that vintage vibe. It has a squeal factor and so much oomph that a humbucker cannot obtain. so much thicker than a Gibson humbucker. I like vintage guitars through modern setup as the clarity and

sound is something so sweet and original.

If anyone has any questions on the instruments ability then please feel free and ask as I regulary check on here.

Dude we have to have pic's

Goldtop

I can't upload pictures as I'm using an iPhone but I'll do my best to try in the next few days. I'm very shocked knowing only 160 goldtops were made. Damn do I feel very lucky indeed under the circumstances. if I'm totally honest it looks more bronze than gold. I went from a squire telecaster straight to this instrument and I'll never look back. p90s Gibson through a valve amp = 'that tone' Gibson got it spot on with the p90s and I'm a very happy customer indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine shipped out yesterday from Sweetwater. #471 Produced in Jan of 12. Can't post pix cuz ain't got it yet. Mine is a black back with Humbuckers, Had in on reserve for a while but they got them in 2 weeks expected. Chris at Sweetwater hand picked mine out of the 15 that they got the minute they came in and picked his fav for me. They still have 3 left as of this minute, so hurry if you want one, They had 12 go out in less than 24hrs. Mine is 7lbs 3ozs and my rep say it sounds like a vintage ES 355 acoustically. SWEET! I had a set of GENUINE (not the Russian repurposed ones) Vintage NOS Black Beauty caps that I sent to them over a month ago and asked that they be put in for me during set up along with my Aluminum tailpiece and some Thomastik-Insfeld Heavy bottom Power-brites (Hand wrapped Silked round core/WORLDS BEST Blues strings ever made). Can't wait!!!! Mine has the baked maple fretboard. Never played one before but Chris said that they are slick and silky as wet glass and are very snappy tonewise like Ebony :D. BTW He grabbed one for himself! That tell you something? Treated myself to a new Horned back Crocodile skin strap and a Caligirl clone hardshell case for this one. I've wanted one precisely like this for a very long time. The low pricing was just icing on the cake. It's gonna settle in nicely right next to my beloved Cherry ES 355. Scuttlebutt over at Gibson is that they want to preserve the uniqueness of this particular wildly popular Goldtop model and after this run will not make any future runs with the baked maple fretboard...Ca-Ching

"This is my axe. There are many like it but this one is mine. This axe is nothing without me. I am nothing without it. I will play my notes true..."

Archived