Gibson Brands Forums

J-45TV - same neck profile as J-45 Standard?

Pickax

I played a 2009 J-45 TV last week and the neck profile felt just like the other J-45s and SJs that I've played. I'm not sure why they are sometimes called out as being V-profile when they aren't.

That said, be sure to ask about the specific guitar (if not trying in person) because there is always the odd duck out there.

I've not had a chance to play a J-45TV and I was wondering about the neck profile. Do they have the same neck profile as the J-45 Standards?

I think the profile is slightly different. A little more rounded. Not really a V shape but similar to a U shaped Tele neck.

I have a 2008 J-45 TV and a 2007 J-45 Rosewood Vine. Using calipers, their necks measure virtually the same in depth and width at the first and ninth frets (given the strings were still on). I can't say for sure that the Vine's neck is the same as the Standard's, but I don't see why they would be any different. As noted by others, neither is what I would call a V. On the other hand, I have a J-35 Reisue, and its neck profile is different from the J-45 TV/Vine; it's a bit deeper and is a soft V.

Keep in mind there will always be a slight variation among necks of a given model, due to the hand finishing.

Red 333

Archived