Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Limited Edition 56 Goldtop

markerdown

So I sell my MIK epi 56 GT back in May and get in line with a pre-order for the new Gibson studio 50s tribute goldtop. Well, got screwed by one of the big chain stores, order got canx'd last freakin week.

So now I see Epi 56GTs "limited editon" are available. I asume these are MIC these days??... so what makes it a "limited edition?

I thought epi discontinued this model a while back??? I see the price is lower these days... but what about the quality of these axes?

Anybody pick upone of these for $399? I also noticed Agile Al-2000 GTs are going for $225.

Hell, for the price of the gibby, I picked up a new marshall class 5 combo amp and am looking at this new epi 56gt ltd edition and still have cash leftover......

i know people will argue until they're blue in the face about the quality of chines epi's and this may have been true when they first moved production, however, i have a chines gt '56, dot, and a custom and they are all higher quality than the older (korean) models i had about ten-fifteen years back. i played a '56 gibby re-issue a couple of months back and while it is an incredible guitar i just don't think they are three thousand dollars nicer than an epiphone.

just my two cents

I was looking at the gibby 50's out here in OZ, and apparently they are selling bucketloads of them everywhere, especially in the USA.

I could get a white(YUK) or an ebony, but the other colours wont be out here again until towards the end of October.

Stop buying all the guitars you bloody Americans(HAHA)

So, whats with the "limited Edition" part of the epi 56GT? @399 I thinks I'm gonna pull the trigger. Is it any different than the 56GT previously produced??????

I had a sweet epi LP plus top in honeyburst MIC. I'm not worried about where it's made as long as it's built well and plays good. I may play it badly, but thats a different story :-)

I'm an old school marshall heavy rock crunch guy, yup, you ca get it at low volume with the class 5, what I noticed with my LPs that you have to back off the bass the more you crank up the volume. The little sucker gets LOUD for only 5 watts.. I got mine in british racing green which I think is way cool. So far, no rattle

Ohh don't get me started on that freakin gibby 50s tribute studio LP. I was just livid when my order was canx'd. I was on the hook since May 17 for a goldtop. Freakin first day I found they were available! I had just called last wednesday to verify my backorder was still valid, was told "yes", and expect shipment late Oct. Two days later..kaabongg order canx email. I called back only to get the canned answer "Gibson is not shipping the promised allocation" I was in the top 8 with my pre-order. I think there was some monkey business going on.

So, whats with the "limited Edition" part of the epi 56GT? @399 I thinks I'm gonna pull the trigger. Is it any different than the 56GT previously produced??????

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the same. They make a black one now too so they can't just list it as "56 Gold Top" I guess? I've seen pics of the ones now advertised as "Limited Edition" and it looks exactly the same with the same "56' Gold Top" on the truss rod cover of the gold one. Obviously the black one says something else, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same as the old one.

oh yeah, I'm seriously thinking about getting one too. That price is tough to beat!

Ok, I just ordered an Epi 56GT from MF. Free shipping, plus I put it on my MF card, interest free for 12 months. Ya gotta love that place :-) saw a few for sale used for more than $399. That was the clincher. Now the wait begins....... I see some Gibby 50tribute LPs on fleabay.. ouchh! talk about price gouging... no studio guitar is worth that much

I have a '56 GT made in China (EE). I bought it before the supposed end of the GT. Mine is a nice guitar. I almost sold it cause try as I might, I don't like P-90s. Then I found out that minis will drop right in. So I got a set of Gibson minis and I am happy as a clam.

As far as the LE (Limited Edition) goes, I think it could be that the big 3, MF, M123, and GC put an order in with Epiphone. They have done it before with various models. That might not be the case, but that is my guess. I just checked and some of the prices have gone up to $499. Still $399 on Amazon (MF).

The '56 Goldtop was discontinued from the Epiphone line a few years back, but now they've re-introduced them at certain retailers only, hence the 'limited edition' stamp on the back. They've also introduced a '56 Reissue Ebony model at even fewer retailers (I know of only 1 in the UK that stocks them) which too has a LE stamp.

These are great guitars and I love mine to bits, I just wish I could find the LP Custom with P90s to go with it........(Sheila, I will get one first!)

oh by the way.............HNGD!!

.Then I found out that minis will drop right in. So I got a set of Gibson minis and I am happy as a clam.

Oooo, I did not know the mini hums will fit. They drop right in you say... very interesting. That opens up a whole new possibility for my new GT

Oooo, I did not know the mini hums will fit. They drop right in you say... very interesting. That opens up a whole new possibility for my new GT

I justed added a new thread on an easy hum-bucking mod for the '56 GT (Easy P-90...). I just did mine last night. I think the P-90's are what make it cool, but having a humbucking position on the pup selector makes it bearable.

Wouldn't that basically make it a Les Paul Deluxe? Gibson LP deluxes used to have mini 'buckers.

Yep! I got a TRC made for my GT that says Deluxe!

When I did mine a few years ago I couldn't find any pups that came with pup rings, except for Gibson. I also couldn't find a suplier that sold rings. I have since found out that AllParts sells the rings in both black and cream. GFS also has a nice supply of minis with rings that will fit. When I did this Jay didn't have any. I emailed him about what I wanted to do and he recommended Gibson. About 6 months later these were added to his site. I'm half way tempted to buy an SX Callisto JR for $130 and throw a set of GFS minis in it.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the same. They make a black one now too so they can't just list it as "56 Gold Top" I guess? I've seen pics of the ones now advertised as "Limited Edition" and it looks exactly the same with the same "56' Gold Top" on the truss rod cover of the gold one. Obviously the black one says something else, but I'm pretty sure it's still the same as the old one.

Strangely enough, the black ones I've seen in person have the "56 Gold Top" TRC, too.

Archived