Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 vs EJ-200CE

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

I have a EJ-200CE and was wondering about the sound diff. in it and the EJ200. Somewhere I read that the 200 has a solid spruce top and I know the 200CE has a "select Spruce top" which is code for laminated. My 200CE sounds pretty good, but not maybe as full as I would have expected for such a large body. Is the 200 really solid spruce and does it sound better (better bass & brightness)?

Thanks for any guidance.

Aster =P~

Hi Ya'll,

I have a EJ-200CE and was wondering about the sound diff. in it and the EJ200. Somewhere I read that the 200 has a solid spruce top and I know the 200CE has a "select Spruce top" which is code for laminated. My 200CE sounds pretty good, but not maybe as full as I would have expected for such a large body. Is the 200 really solid spruce and does it sound better (better bass & brightness)?

Thanks for any guidance.

Aster =P~

EJ200 also has a select spruce (laminate) top. the only diff is the electronics and cutaway. the EJ300 (discontinued) had a solid top, as did (naturally) the elitist models.

The words "select spruce" are a bit misleading I guess. I just got an EJ-200 Artist and while I was told the top was laminated, like the rest of the body, looking at the sound hole edge it sure looks solid. I can't see any layers at all.

Doesn't matter either way since I bought it for how it sounds right now, but considering the volume this brand new guitar has, it does make you wonder.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing is, and i think i said this in someone else's 200vs300 post, is that a laminate top may get the job done for you better than the solid one would. I remember before the 300 was discontinued reading all these reviews about how junky it was! When you're considering a $399 (?) new guitar with a surface area the size of the sj-300 top, they're going to make some VERY thin cuts in the top of that solid spruce! with a select spruce, they keep it at a relative price point, and are able to keep from compromising on quality.

I love my EJ-200 VS. The sound is outstanding and better than most and possibly all solid tops in its price range.

I bought it for the sound, price, and a laminate top. Why laminate? Because I don't have to worry about humidity

levels and the possibility of the top splitting like a solid top. The "opening up" wasn't an issue either, because

all the solid tops in the price range are poly coated too and won't "open up" until the year 2050 or beyond. This one

sounds big and boomy right from the start. New strings every month or so and it brightens up very nicely.

Archived