Gibson Brands Forums

sg prophecy gx tailpiece stud inserts

trinityblues

i just got a used sg prophecy gx and noticed the inserts that the tailpiece studs screw into are pulling out,with about 1/32" gap on back showing splines on the inserts.i imagine the wood has compressed on the back side of the inserts.....any suggestions,anyone?

Maybe someone tried to upgrade the tailpiece and post. I'm doing a gold to nickel conversion on an 05 LP Custom and the Gotoh tailpiece bushings are smaller than the original Epi bushings. Although mine are so loose I would never be able to get them to stay there are other manufacturers that they could have used.

I'm guessing that they probably put locking studs in it and had to open the holes up a bit (or forced slightly larger bushings in the existing holes) to get the new bushings to fit. Then decided to sell the guitar with the original studs. Just a guess though.

Good Luck,

Dega

i just got a used sg prophecy gx and noticed the inserts that the tailpiece studs screw into are pulling out,with about 1/32" gap on back showing splines on the inserts.i imagine the wood has compressed on the back side of the inserts.....any suggestions,anyone?

Man, that is definitely not acceptable. Gotta have a SOLID string base.

I had a "similar" problem with a 70s Hondo II I refinished, but my problem

was that the tailpiece inserts started tilting torward the Headstock due to

string tension. The old laminated plywood on the git just gave up, I suppose.

I did fix MY problem by lining the insert holes with an epoxy-based putty, and

refitting the inserts, then letting it dry rock hard. BUT, that was on a "Project

Guitar", not a PROPHECY!!!!!! I do NOT recommend this method for you!

The 1/32" gap is a head-scratcher. Logic says the "correct" way to repair is to

glue HARD wood dowels into the holes, let dry, then re-drill the insert holes to

provide new/good solid wood to reseat them into. This requires time, patience, and access

to a drill press, plus the correct size drill bit and lots of prep work so you don't

mess up.

We have many knowledgeable members who do this type of work professionally. Having

a LUTHIER recommend a solution is needed at this point. The gap is so small that I

am unsure if the "Dowel" solution would even be viable due to the thin wood wall that

would be left when drilled out.

Hopefully, one of the Pros will "weigh in"!

I'm definitely interested in hearing recommendations.

what it is is the holes were probably drilled too big and there loose in the body . all you need to do is remove them wrap paper around them once around or more if needed then tap them back in place then they will staay down. easy fix . ive done it before when changing out bridges that had smaller pegs.

The paper wrap thing works. The one thing I might add is that when you re-install the tail piece, raise it a bit. I know that this seems wrong, you would think that raising it would allow the strings to pull it more, but by raising it you lower the amount of tension on it. It also makes string bending easier.

Be Careful. If you raise it too much you will lose tone. There is a sweet spot that you kind of have to find.

The paper wrap thing works. The one thing I might add is that when you re-install the tail piece, raise it a bit. I know that this seems wrong, you would think that raising it would allow the strings to pull it more, but by raising it you lower the amount of tension on it. It also makes string bending easier.

Be Careful. If you raise it too much you will lose tone. There is a sweet spot that you kind of have to find.

Wind it all the way down and top-wrap your strings. [thumbup]

[tongue]

Archived