Gibson Brands Forums

B-25-12!

twentytwenty

hi everyone. first time poster here. =P~

i've just picked up a lovely old b-25-12 from the states!

it's in great condition, very minor wear...

IMG_0972copy.jpg

i've owned a b-25-12n in the past for many years and though i can't be certain, i feel like this isn't quite as loud

as the old natural top model i used to own.

now i understand that it could just be that the other hunk of wood was more dense, but could the sunburst dampen

the sound somewhat?

it really sounds to me like there isn't as much sound eminated from the top of the guitar, where the red paint is thickest!

maybe i'm imagining things. :)

so really, i'd just like to hear what someone else thinks of sunburst vs natural top acoustics. is there a difference in sound quality?

something else i want to look into is a pickup for this baby, without having to drill holes in it in any way.

recommendations?

cheers!

-luke

hi everyone. first time poster here. smile.gif

so really' date=' i'd just like to hear what someone else thinks of sunburst vs natural top acoustics. is there a difference in sound quality?

something else i want to look into is a pickup for this baby, without having to drill holes in it in any way.

recommendations?

-luke[/quote']

Hi Luke

Are you Perth Scotland or Australia?

In either case welcome

Easy answer first, take a look at LR Baggs Element ACtive

Standard fit on a lot of Gibsons at the moment, very discrete and reliable.

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/systems_element.shtml

No drilling except enlarge end pin and has a volume control which is soundhole mounted.

Regarding your other questions, I don't have an answer but I do have an theory which is the more lacquer/paint/scratchplates etc there is on the table of a guitar the more it will affect the sound.

Now I am not saying that's a bad thing.

I am sure that an Everly Brothers which twin scratchplate and half a ton of thick black paint sounds just fine but suggest that if all were removed then the table may resonate more and perhaps make the guitar sound different.

Now I am not saying that's a good thing either just my simple theory.

There are guys on this forum who can give you facts based on their experience rather than in my case my theory

I, like you, look forward to US waking up and hearing a few.

And finally nice guitar, Albertjohn and I had a look at a couple a few weeks ago in Denmark Street in London but they were really tired, yours looks very sweet!

They are so much nicer without the tailpiece! IMHO of course.

BR

John

welcome to the forum. i don't have an answer to your question but i do know you've made a couple of our brit forum mates drool. eusa_drool.gif

I too do not have the answer, sorry! JT and I have been lusting after a 12r for a while although JT has a very nice one indeed. Played a couple of these from the 60s recently but they were in only fair condition and badly over priced.

Yours looks a beauty though. Here's wishing you many good years with it.

Hi Luke

Are you Perth Scotland or Australia?

hey john

australia of course! eusa_whistle.gif

thanks for the tip on the lr baggs' date=' i'll check that out for sure.

and yeah, i agree...those big old tail pieces seem very wrong to me after only ever having the wooden bridges. :)

i'm wondering if the bridge pins are original actually...my old 12n had white ones and these black ones on the new one seem very new to me...could be mistaken though.

i got the old original case with this too, which makes it look like the size of an electric almost.

i got a nice surprise when i opened the little box thing in the case too...

[img']http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w292/friedegg3000/IMG_0992copy.jpg[/img]

wonder if theyre from 64 too.

i don't think i'll ever use them, they're "brand new".

i'm wondering if the bridge pins are original actually...my old 12n had white ones and these black ones on the new one seem very new to me...could be mistaken though.

Hi Luke

Before you start on bridge pins do a search on the forum, there is so many threads about relative values of plastic, bone, narwhal tusk,dragons teeth etc etc.

That and materials for saddles and bridges are very well aired here.

Nice touch with the strings, I guess some of the Gibson historians here can tell you a little more about them

BR

John

Archived