Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Suckage...

Josh James

Howdy! I'm fixing to start playing out with my rig a lot more and want everyone's opinion on true bypass vs. non true-bypass pedals. My current board is LP or Strat > Fulltone 69 Fuzz>PB Tuner> Stock TS-9>Keeley Blues Driver>Amp. I know neither of my "overdrive" pedals are true bypass and I'm assuming are not giving me the tone I want. The pedal that really gives me issues is the TS-9 because it seems to really suck a lot of my LP's natural tone. I usually run it like gain stages with the Keeley being my clean boost with gain all the way down and level at noon and tone at about 9. The TS-9 level at 2 and gain at 9 with tone at noon These two pedals for some reason do not sound good together but sound fine seperate which is really irking me. I really just need a OD that jives with the keeley as a solo boost maybe?

J

I always prefer tru bypass pedals. Why? Because of the control. Using all true bypass pedals isn't always the best option, often you'll want a buffer in there to help the signal go through. But sometimes that buffer won't play nice with other pedals. That's just how it is. So I prefer to have all true bypass pedals and then I'll add the buffer myself when it is needed and where it is needed.

In your case, I can't say for sure what's sucking tone. When you say the pedals do not sound good together, does that include just having the Keely and TS-9 off or vice versa? Or is it only when you turn both pedals on at the same time?

Sho - I can tell whenever the TS-9 is on that it is sucking bass and volume from my signal. I can especially tell when it and the Keeley are both on, even with the Keeley after it supposively fattening my sound as it does with the Fuzz it still sucks all the bass out...frustrating to say the least when you want the thing to give you a good boost and the pedal before it kills it!

J

Your TS-9's level is on 2? That's pretty low, your signal may be choked off right there. Back off the gain and turn up the level a bit. I keep my TS-9's level at about 12:00 o' Clock then bring the gain up to where I want it. Tube Screamers don't really like their gains cranked, they loose their Overdrive Voice and start to sound like a thin Distortion Pedal.

Also, what you may think is Tone Sucking could just be the TS-9's natural voice, they definitely color your tone.

No I have the level set at 2 o'clock. I'm going to try it out with my Champ 2 when it gets here. I may just keep the Ceriatone for recording and outdoor gig's. The Ceriatone is a really cool late 60's style plexi with no MV and 4 inputs that can be patched and the two "channels" volume can be mixed. It really nail's that Cream/Zeppelin sound IMO. The Champ will be a different tone for sure, but it is 18 watts, so that can handle most indoor gig's I think?

J

Whatever happened to the long established board idea, the finished sound is best when set to remain true in volume and tone throughout the series of effects pedals (exempting boosts) when the same volume level at "in" exists as when "out" and the volume and tone of the entire bord level is matched at "in" and "out" by utilizing an eq at each end of the chain?

Simple Example: guitar ... wah > eq > distortion > chorus > delay > eq ... amp [confused]

Ahhh a simple but yet confusing though that many do not understand. Or you can try something like I do; run amp only with no effects not even a booster since the amp does this quite well by itself and a volume knob on the guitar is quite a wonderful tool...

Ah, at last. One who understands. [thumbup]

lol Well, when you are doing a lot of cover tunes it helps to have a few different flavor's of OD or wotnot. Thanks for the help and I'm going to keep messing with it.

J

For Sure. The way my Back Line is set up I have about 10 different levels of Overdrive ranging from mildly driven to massively distorted. All achieved with Two Amps, One TS-9, and one MXR Distortion+. Keeps the audience from getting bored with one gain setting, after an hour or two the same Overdrive will start to sound like a Chainsaw or some other power tool. Plus it really puts your performance over the top when you sound different from one song to the next.

Despite Hall's assertion the he's the only one that knows how to set up a pedal board, I find it completely unnecessary to have an EQ anywhere in my line of 5 pedals. It's pretty easy to keep your levels consistent with the controls that come with each pedal, particularly the controls marked "Level" [rolleyes]

Your issue has nothing to do with true bypass. True bypass only applies when the pedal is turned off; how much does it affect your tone when the pedal is off. And I like having at least one buffering pedal in my chain. A whole chain of true bypass can weaken the sound by the time it gets to your amp.

Try switching your Keeley and TS-9. I used to run my OD808 first and found that it sounds best after all the other dirt and fuzz boxes.

Despite Hall's assertion the he's the only one that knows how to set up a pedal board, I find it completely unnecessary to have an EQ anywhere in my line of 5 pedals. It's pretty easy to keep your levels consistent with the controls that come with each pedal, particularly the controls marked "Level" [rolleyes]

Hey back off, FirstMeasure. I made no assertion such as alleged by yourself. I don't give a crap how you or anyone sets up a pedal board, or what pedals are used. Since you missed the basic premise in the first place, go your own way and dig your sound. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to the long established board idea, the finished sound is best when set to remain true in volume and tone throughout the series of effects pedals (exempting boosts) when the same volume level at "in" exists as when "out" and the volume and tone of the entire bord level is matched at "in" and "out" by utilizing an eq at each end of the chain?

Simple Example: guitar ... wah > eq > distortion > chorus > delay > eq ... amp [confused]

Ahhh a simple but yet confusing though that many do not understand. Or you can try something like I do; run amp only with no effects not even a booster since the amp does this quite well by itself and a volume knob on the guitar is quite a wonderful tool...

Ah, at last. One who understands. [thumbup]

Sorry, I guess I Misread or Misinterpreted this exchange.

Sorry, I guess I Misread or Misinterpreted this exchange.

Thanks, and good, FirstMeasure. I appreciate your getting back to me on this one. Sorry, for being short with you. Hope all is cool twixt us.

Archived