Gibson Brands Forums

Home made speaker cab.

Kimbabig

Hey guys, I just made this cab, what do you think, It is pine wood, glued, screwed/nailed, and biscuit jointed together. The speaker grille is purple velvet. I stained it and gave it a few coats of poly. It sounds great. Eminence Texas heat and a Celestion G12t-75

P1040778.jpg

P1040785.jpg

P1040787.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got 20' of 12", 50 year old pine lounging in the garage.

I haven't been able to make up my mind about how to use it, so there it sits.

Nice tight grain, no knots.

I mourn for the owl that used to hang out near it - but go figure.

I'm looking for an old Tremolux head - maybe one day that pine will turn into a sweet 2 x 10.

I've got 20' of 12", 50 year old pine lounging in the garage.

I haven't been able to make up my mind about how to use it, so there it sits.

Nice tight grain, no knots.

I mourn for the owl that used to hang out near it - but go figure.

I'm looking for an old Tremolux head - maybe one day that pine will turn into a sweet 2 x 10.

No knots in the pine? I have to see this beautiful wood.

Oh yeah it was. It was massive. The only good thing about it was the 12" Jensen Concert Vibato sparkers.

If it didn't buzz then it was a good cab

No knots in the pine? I have to see this beautiful wood.

I'll haul the camera out to the garage in a while.

In the 60's my old man retired to his woodshop, making curio cabinets and gun cases. He just went down to the lumberyard (I called it the "board store") and bought what ever they had laying around.

When he passed, I tossed truckloads of crap, but I kept the good stuff. These planks are incredible, and I have truly been conflicted about how to use them, because there is nothing else like them available anywhere, at any price.

Maybe I should auction them off, and use the money to buy some Alex Rodriguez bubblegum. Or a reissue Les Paul.

Something good.

I'll haul the camera out to the garage in a while.

In the 60's my old man retired to his woodshop, making curio cabinets and gun cases. He just went down to the lumberyard (I called it the "board store") and bought what ever they had laying around.

When he passed, I tossed truckloads of crap, but I kept the good stuff. These planks are incredible, and I have truly been conflicted about how to use them, because there is nothing else like them available anywhere, at any price.

Maybe I should auction them off, and use the money to buy some Alex Rodriguez bubblegum. Or a reissue Les Paul.

Something good.

Shall I post the morning wood video?

I forget the dimensions, just too heavy to move around. I should have ported it for a bass cab. I was using a Traynor Bassmate head. The EB0 did sounded good through it. The Jensen 12's were good because I couldn't afford JBL's.

Hey nice job on the homemade cab. B)

Yes, you can get "clear" pine (no knots). Pretty expensive. And 12" boards - wow!

Thanks, and on a different topic I kind of like the knots in my cab, just gives it a certain vintage vibe.

Archived