Gibson Brands Forums

J-2000 backwood stump Brazil?

artb

Selected from 5 at a Gibson dealer store by one previous owner. Nearly unused in 18 years. No detailed info with it. A production one not later custom shop made. These were mostly maple and Indian rosewood, but several were Brazil which I think this may be?? Images: cutaway is j-2000, classical NBN (not mine) is Brazil which looks like j-2000, 1998 Gibson is Machiche from S. Mexico. Have nice letter from R. Ferguson who says he liked this S. Mexico wood as a nice looking rosewood equivalent. This model normally with Indian and not much inlay. Wonder if anyone could guess what model it is?

post-26171-077818900 1286752497_thumb.jpg

post-26171-098141800 1286752556_thumb.jpg

post-26171-047713000 1286752828_thumb.jpg

post-26171-058797600 1286761992_thumb.jpg

Yep. That's how this works. Each member get 500K worth of storage for photo uploads.........what kind of ceiling would you suggest? There has to be a limit. So upload two, or three, or however many will fall below the 500K limit. You have to delete old uploads to make room for new ones, never more than 500K worth in your pile.

Appreciate the nearly instant info responses about image load limits. Actually everything works very well. I am member of several forums. No limitations on those for images. I much prefer to keep my own image storage. Lazy, and shy about public access. Picasweb works well for someone I know. He does not care if I go to it, or anyone else, to see what he has loaded.

... Wonder if anyone could guess what model it is?

I think you're asking about the last two pictures on the right. It's obviously a dreadnought vine. But without seeing the front, I can't identify it.

You ask if it's Brazilian rosewood and then say it's machiche.

Are you playing a guessing game? . . . Or are you going to post a picture of the whole front of the guitar body?

Confusing. . [confused]. . . :blink: . . . [confused]. . . :blink:

The subject is the J-2000 back wood type. Show 2 real Brazilian, and the questionable J2000 which looks similar and the odd to me Machiche for the fun of it since the subject is back wood. Stupid of me to think that a dreadnaught and peghead would be enough to identify it. Cancelled head photo and soon adding proper photo.

The last 2 pics look like some kind of custom Songwriter Vine. Looks like Koa b&s sides to me but I've never heard of or seen of machiche.

Ferguson of Gibson writes that it was chosen for its rosewood characteristics and minimal cracking and warping, and has been used on custom shop specials.

Lovely looking beast. You can't have too much bling on a Songwriter IMO.

This was made before Songwriter existed, and the vine was hand inlayed by Ferguson. He says it was patented and for

production shell is cut on cnc in Kentucky and inlays cut on cnc in Bozeman. Not a custom Songwriter but it is a custom of a previous model.

Welp, the J2000, I don't *think* it's Brazilian, the grain looks too straight to me, no wavy grain, figuring or knots, any one or more of which would push me closer to Brazilian. So, it looks like Indian to me.

And the Machiche - since you say it's not a Songwriter, maybe a custom 1998 CL20?

Welp, the J2000, I don't *think* it's Brazilian, the grain looks too straight to me, no wavy grain, figuring or knots, any one or more of which would push me closer to Brazilian. So, it looks like Indian to me.

Probably right, but maybe you should enlarge the image. It is far from straight grain. That is why I question it. The 2 real ones I show are straighter.

And the Machiche - since you say it's not a Songwriter, maybe a custom 1998 CL20?

Close enough. Marked CL50. CL20----50 only catalogued a couple years? This one and j2000 are very nice players with resonant but different sounds. I sold a 1920+ 0 archtop. Really dull. I think the only good sounding design by Gibson personally was the U harp guitar. I have a 1915+ crack free and with all those 16 strings and 20 inch width truly resonates. It took Loar to make a good sounding Gibson acoustic archtop. I have a Banner L50 (the cheap L5) which proves it.

Another photo of J-2000 back which does not look like their Indian rosewood. It is the production one that used only maple, Indian and a few Brazil rosewood. Seems to be hard to judge rosewood types from photos, and I think Brazil

but not sure.

post-26171-087765600 1287006900_thumb.jpg

Another photo of J-2000 back which does not look like their Indian rosewood. It is the production one that used only maple, Indian and a few Brazil rosewood. Seems to be hard to judge rosewood types from photos, and I think Brazil

but not sure.

I don't know what back wood that is, but my humble opinion is that it is not Indian! I have a J-2000 which I think is Indian r/w, and the back and side woods were clearly selected in part for its attractive appearance, as it is beautifully coloured stuff, with some richer "reddish-brown" brown, rather than the 'typical' sort of dull-choco brown that Indian often is.

But the back of the one you show really pops, zings, etc -- it's quite beautiful. I wonder if it is cocobolo or some other wood in that general family of rosewoods?

One thing you might try is calling LaVonne Jurack over at the Bozeman factory. She might be able to track down some details for you if you give her the serial number and promise to send her flowers! [biggrin] 1-800-426-2636

Can't hurt to try.

I don't know what back wood that is, but my humble opinion is that it is not Indian! I have a J-2000 which I think is Indian r/w, and the back and side woods were clearly selected in part for its attractive appearance, as it is beautifully coloured stuff, with some richer "reddish-brown" brown, rather than the 'typical' sort of dull-choco brown that Indian often is.

But the back of the one you show really pops, zings, etc -- it's quite beautiful. I wonder if it is cocobolo or some other wood in that general family of rosewoods?

One thing you might try is calling LaVonne Jurack over at the Bozeman factory. She might be able to track down some details for you if you give her the serial number and promise to send her flowers! [biggrin] 1-800-426-2636

Can't hurt to try.

Archived