Gibson Brands Forums

Kids today....MODS COMPLETE

brianh

Sure will crust. After playing it through my larger amps tonight, I discovered that the tone pot is fine, it was just that I couldn't hear much difference on the little Fender Sidekick 15 SS amp I use on the bench.

Properly amplified, the tone control has a smooth, subtle rolloff. I also discovered I don't like like the cheap Epi P90 I put in there at all - too harsh and trebley.

S'ok, I have a pair of Vintage Vibes I can cannibalize.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did I miss this post from yesterday? That is a really nice looking guitar and I look forward to seeing all your project guitars. Will the modded LP Special II be ready soon? Please post on your progress if you have time. Any links to your previous project threads would be appreciated as well. The forum search engine can't seem to find the word "the" when I operate it.

I have a question for you: I want to replace the pots on my Epi. Junior. Should I stick to the original resistance values?. I'm using a Seymour Duncan model 59 pup and I prefer my tone on the cleaner side of the spectrum. The pup checked out at 6.5K ohms with a high-impedance bench multimeter. Are both pots audio taper? Thanks for checking out my LP Jr. project. I think I would like to mod another Jr. very soon.

Your work is very professional and interesting.

Thanks.

P1030561640.jpg

Will the modded LP Special II be ready soon? Please post on your progress if you have time. Any links to your previous project threads would be appreciated as well. The forum search engine can't seem to find the word "the" when I operate it.

Blue, the guitar above is actually a 1978 Gibson "The Paul" that I'm restoring. Most of my threads that are of much use are in the DIY sticky that Animalfarm has put together, but I'll go back and see if he's missed any and post them here when I get the chance.

I have a question for you: I want to replace the pots on my Epi. Junior. Should I stick to the original resistance values?.

500k is normal for humbuckers, 250k for single-coils, although 400k and 350k have been used on some Gibby models in the past I believe.

I'm using a Seymour Duncan model 59 pup and I prefer my tone on the cleaner side of the spectrum. The pup checked out at 6.5K ohms with a high-impedance bench multimeter. Are both pots audio taper? Thanks for checking out my LP Jr. project. I think I would like to mod another Jr. very soon..

Both pots on that yellow Jr are audio taper, but I think some folks think that linear taper on the tone control provides a smoother response. Somebody jump in here if I'm wrong.

Your work is very professional and interesting.

Thanks, but I'm really just an advanced hack. Most of what I know I learned here or from the Internet or buds over the last 2 years.

Both pots on that yellow Jr are audio taper, but I think some folks think that linear taper on the tone control provides a smoother response. Somebody jump in here if I'm wrong.

That's as 'Sydney Guitar Setups' (with outlets in Hollywood & Nashville) explained it to me!

Regardless, you've done a fine job Brian. She looks really nice [thumbup]

Cheers,

• 11 months later...

Please enlighten me about the signifigance of the 420.

Rastus, "420" is common code for cannabis here in the States. It's believed to have have originated with police radio code for "under the influence," in the same way that "10-4" means "ok" and there are other numeric codes for various crimes and offences.

Rastus, "420" is common code for cannabis here in the States. It's believed to have have originated with police radio code for "under the influence," in the same way that "10-4" means "ok" and there are other numeric codes for various crimes and offences.

Another origin for that number, that I've heard, has to do with quitting time. 4PM quitting time means smokin' at 4:20. Unless of course, you're smokin' at work (or school).

Archived