Gibson Brands Forums

Looking For Gibson/Amp Setup - Beginner

hormel

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice where to start out. I learned my chords as a kid (25 years ago) and have been playing around with an old Applause acoustic I have but want to get started with an electric and like the look and feel of a Gibson. What would be a good guitar and amp combination for someone like me to start out with. I really like the look and feel of the Supreme, but is there a better one to start with?

Thanks in advance!

Any Les Paul would be a good choice. The Supreme is more Eye Candy than other models but just as good playability and sound wise. Go to a music store and play a few. You'll know the right one when you play it.

As for the amp. Marshall is always good with Les Pauls. If you are just looking for a practice size, check out the MG Series. they are very good for the money, not a tube amp but you can always jump up to that later when you really know what you like.

I can afford the Supreme but wanted to ask some experienced players if there was a better model to start out with as a beginner...

If you just want to stick to beginner level and money is not an issue. Go for a Studio Les Paul. A Les Paul without all the frills.

Beginner's advice...if you will...is to play it cool initially and not expect the perfect set up. Nobody knows what they want until they have some experience. Maybe play as many different guitars as you can ie Strats, Teles, 335's, LP's....who do you listen to most and what do they play? etc. Marshall, Fender, Vox, Roland make great amps at all levels. Have a chat with your local store and see what they have...do they buy back as you move up the ladder? [crying]

:-({|=

Archived