Gibson Brands Forums

Buffing out superficial scratches

Acousticblues99

Hi. I just picked up a nice, used 2006 Gibson ES335, wine colored/flamed/gloss. The previous owner played out a bit and there are very light scratches mainly from picking and from rubbing against clothing. Does anyone know how to buff these out gently so as not to damage the finish of the guitar? Thanks!

Hi. I just picked up a nice, used 2006 Gibson ES335, wine colored/flamed/gloss. The previous owner played out a bit and there are very light scratches mainly from picking and from rubbing against clothing. Does anyone know how to buff these out gently so as not to damage the finish of the guitar? Thanks!

Yes but you probably won't want to try my suggestion. I use 'Nu Finish' Car Polish. I use a very very small amount and I don't rub too hard. I use a very soft cloth, apply lightly and buff off. My guitar tech showed me this. It's really great but you need to approach cautiously.

I have a large plastic bottle of 3M Finesse It, a final polishing material intended for wood surfaces. It works like car polish, (wax on, wax off), but the polishing material in it is much finer than what you would find in auto polish. It might take repeated applications, but you won't have to be afraid of damaging the guitar.

Something else you might try as an alternative to auto polish would be chrome polish. If your local auto parts store doesn't have it, motorcycle shops usually do.

I have a large plastic bottle of 3M Finesse It, a final polishing material intended for wood surfaces. It works like car polish, (wax on, wax off), but the polishing material in it is much finer than what you would find in auto polish. It might take repeated applications, but you won't have to be afraid of damaging the guitar.

Something else you might try as an alternative to auto polish would be chrome polish. If your local auto parts store doesn't have it, motorcycle shops usually do.

I have some jewelers rouge that's worked well on fine scratches I've put on my guitars.

Just a little on a damp rag and rub gently, then wipe the haze off with a clean terry cloth.

HTH

Thanks for these suggestions. I noticed that StewMac has a product called Preservation Polish. Would this possibly be the right tool for the job?

http://www.stewmac.c...ion_Polish.html

Not sure about the Stew Mac product. These other products such as Nu Finish car polish are making a very light cut to the surface. If I use Gibson guitar polish it cleans the dirt off, polishes the guitar but does not remove marks on the guitar. Regards,

Archived