Gibson Brands Forums

Humidity

Musax

I have a couple questions about humidity control products. Meaning those little clay things you stick in water for five minutes, or the hoses you soak and put inside the f-hole(bad sentence). The humidity is dropping around here(winter's comin) and I have been using a couple of these little devices and my humidity guage doesn't seem to be going up. IT's down to 37% and i think it would be better at between 45 to 55. Does anyone have any experience controlling the humidity in their guitar cases? THx for you time.

This topic has been addressed previously in the forum, you might want to search the topic. Here's my 2 cents concerning your question. I also live where it gets cold during the winter months. For my 335, I usually put two of the round plastic humidors inside the case. Once a month, I take them back out, let them soak for a few minutes, dry them off, and put them back in the case. I use these humidifiers on my other solid body guitars too. I have checked the humidity and to the best of my recollection, it's about 40 to 42% which I think is pretty good. It's always been my understanding that an ideal humidity is around 44%. The main thing you want to avoid of course is exposing your guitar to large temp/humidity changes over a short period of time. For example, don't take your guitar from your room and cozy up close to a blazing fire in a fireplace.

Once spring arrives, I take the humidifiers out until late fall arrives.

Another important factor that has an impact on the humidity of your case and guitar is the humidity of the room your guitar(s) are in. I don't have a humidifier with my furnace, which really tends to take the moisture out of the air. I usually have a fire going in the evening; that of course sucks moisture out of the air too. When the temperatures get really cold, say below zero, it gets drier than an ant fart. I sometimes use one of those electric humidifiers that puts a very fine mist of moisture into the air. I keep my guitars in a relatively small "therapy" room in the basement. If you use one of these larger humidifiers, keep an eye on the humidity where you keep your guitars because you can easily saturate your room if you forget to shut it off.

A good time to treat your fretboard is to do it before old man winter arrives. That's what I plan on doing soon to my guitars. I admit that I don't play the 335 as much as the other guitars during the winter months. It is an important concern and I don't want to have a humidity issue with the 335. Haven't had any issues yet, and want to keep it that way. Hope this helps.

ID Dude

Archived